Get Your Spy On Chapter 18

Get Your Spy On 

Chapter 18

Alex's POV

First thing in the morning I buy three hot chocolates at the gas station, and head over to Wendy's house. Eric texted me saying he's already there, so I can take my time. We both agreed after we left Wendy the first night she found out her dad was dying, that we'd come over every day and take care of her. So far Wendy has appreciated it very much, and seems to be doing a little better. 

When I arrive, the door is unlocked, and Eric and Wendy are on the couch, both of them watching the news, waiting for more news on her dad. I hand them both hot chocolates, and they both thank me, Eric's voice sounds strained to be upbeat, but he looks miserable. Me and Wendy's mood has definitely started to rub off on him, and he's trying to try to keep us both happy. 

"I'm guessing there's no new news?" I ask, sitting down next to them, sipping my hot chocolate. 

Both of them shake their head, sighing. As Wendy takes a gulp of her drink, she asks if we've heard from Sloane. Both of us shake our heads. We haven't heard from her since she walked out of Wendy's house when she first found out about Wendy's father. 

After another hour of watching the news, Wendy looks between me and Eric smiling weakly. "You guys should go home. It's the weekend after all. Besides, we have to go to headquarters tomorrow to get our next assignment." 

I say okay, and Eric reluctantly agrees. He's been oddly attached to her lately. We both leave, and Eric keeps telling her to call him if she needs anything. She says okay, and by the fifth time I see a look of annoyance cross her face, but it looks like she doesn't mind it too much though. 

As I'm getting into my car, Eric stops me. "Hey, do you know how much trouble we'll get if Sloane isn't there tomorrow to receive our assignment?" 

"Well, we don't know she won't show up." 

"Maybe. I have a feeling though that Sloane wouldn't ice us out, especially at this time. What do you think?" 

I lean against my car, and stare at him. He expects me to know what Sloane thinks. Lately, Sloane has been acting like a totally different person, and at the gallery she left me. If she's that disgusted by me, she could at least tell me.  

"I don't know. She might just be having a bad week and is taking it harder than the rest of us. I can go over to her house-" 

"No," Eric says quickly. "I don't want us to interfere in that. Sloane's house is like porcelain, if someone says or does something wrong in that house, it could send her mother in a fit." 

After a moment, I have to agree with him. Sloane and Sandy do the best they can to keep their mother from going out of control, and to be honest, they're eventually going to mess up and their mother will flip out, and they might not be able to calm her down. 

"So, we'll just wait and see if she shows up or not," I say finally. 

Eric nods, and then he heads to his car. I get in the car, and head home, hoping Ben's there. Surprisingly I see his car, and I immediately run up the stairs and open the door.  

Ben is sitting at his desk, typing away at his keyboard. I shut the door, and say hi to him. He murmurs hello, and then when he sees me standing next to him, he looks up. "What's up?" 

"I was wondering what the next mission was going to be and if we are going to be by ourselves or not." 

Ben grins at me. "Sorry, you're going to have to wait like everybody else. All I can say is that this will be your first mission by yourselves. No other squad helping you."