Get Your Spy On Chapter 3

Get Your Spy On

Chapter 3

Wendy’s POV

I looked at myself in the mirror, wondering why I even go to Wallaceburg High and not just homeschool myself. It’d be a lot easier than pretending I’m a perky girl named Wendy Pierce, captain on the Wallaceburg Sharks cheerleading team. Don’t get me wrong though, I do love being on this mission of pretending to be  someone I’m not, but sometimes I wish I could show my friends who I really am instead of pretending I’m so nice and caring.

I wish I could just get in the spy squad already. The spy dinner is in a couple days and that’s where they’ll announce the four new spies for the year. I’ve had butterflies in my stomach ever since my dad told me I’d be one of the four spies chosen to be on the squad. Sloane, Alex, Eric, and I will be chosen to go on missions, fight, and of course spy. I’ve met Sloane and Alex since we go to school together, but I’ve never encountered Eric yet. I know Sandy, Sloane’s sister, goes to the same school as him, but that’s all I know about him unfortunately.

I walk downstairs for breakfast and see my dad stressing and rubbing his temples with his hands. “What’s wrong, dad? Did someone get hurt?”

“As matter of fact, yes,” Dad answered, closing his eyes. “Sloane and her father were in a car chase and her father got shot. Sloane’s leg is sprained, but that’s not a big deal.”

“How’d Gary get shot? He’s just as good as you are. Did he put himself in jeopardy to save his daughter, because that’s against the rules.”

Dad looked up at me. “Yes he did jeopardize his life for his daughter. The alpha will talk to him and more than likely put him on probation. Isn’t that dreadful?”

I sat down on the chair across from him, sitting in silence. My father wouldn’t do that for me, his spy life means everything to him, more than me by a landslide. How come Sloane gets special treatment from her father? She isn’t a better daughter than me, is she?

“Well serves him right for making a deficient choice. Maybe next time he’ll put his career in perspective and think about all the lives of spies he’s put in danger.”

“I’m sure the alpha will tell him this, Wendy. I don’t want you to be mean to Sloane though, you hear me? She didn’t ask her father to do that, so don’t go calling her names, alright?”

“I won’t,” I reply back, rolling my eyes at my father. “I’m not going to be overjoyed with her either though, father. You do realize we might be in danger if he messes up again like this?”

I walk over to the refrigerator and pull out a carton of eggs. I get a pan out, then start making eggs for me and dad. Mom’s working early again today, so she doesn’t have time to cook. . . again. I look over at dad, it must be hard for him not to be able to tell mom about what he does. I think that’s why she works so much, she pretends there’s nothing going on, but she can’t face him, so she works almost twenty-four seven, leaving me to do everything.

I handed dad his plate of food then sat down with my own plate. I look around our house, which is considerably a good size house, nothing compared to what we could really afford. I hear dad’s phone ringing and on the Caller ID I see the name Alpha blink on the screen numerous times.

“How’s Gary, sir?” Dad asks right away. I heard murmuring on the other end of the phone. “Sir, you can’t let Gary get away with this. Why are you saying what he did was okay? I don’t care if his daughter is going to be a superb spy, so is my daughter but you don’t see me risking my life for her.”

I gripped the fork in my hand tightly. There’s no way Gary can get off for what he did, there’s no way he can. Dad hung up the phone angrily, nearly breaking the table with his fist as he thudded it against the surface. “He told me to watch my language.”