Get Your Spy On Chapter 4

Get Your Spy On

Chapter 4

Eric’s POV

I didn’t expect anyone to feel sorry for me the day my parents died, but I also didn’t expect people to hold that against me. Yes I know they were both burglars, bank robbers, anything you can think of, but the public still should have had mercy for the child. He didn’t know about it, not until they died. The boy moved in with his uncle and aunt in California, moving an hour or two away from his old home. Everyone knew who he was though, but soon people moved on to other things, celebrity news I bet.

I got home from school, and plopped myself on the couch, my hair soaking wet from the rain outside. I heard my uncle walk out of his art studio and into the living room, coughing loudly to get my attention. I look over at him, his face is splattered with red and yellow paint. “Hey, man.”

My uncle, Neil, smiled warmly at me.”Hey, Eric. How was your day at school? I bet one of my teachers still teach there.”

“Nah, they’re all new. It was okay, nothing great. The kids still don’t know about my parents, so that’s a plus. Where’s Aunt Maggie?”

“She’s out with your grandma. They’re going to see a movie about assassins, not my cup of tea. Listen, I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but the Alpha called my phone today, he wants to meet up with you.”

I slumped deeper into the couch, rubbing my eyes tiredly. I’m not in the mood to hear about the Alpha and the dinner for the fortieth time this week. I’m not exactly sure why he picked me out of everyone in the world to be a spy, but he says he knows my parents very well.

“You wanted to know more about your parents, right? This guy seems to know them pretty well. Do you think your parents were spies?”

“Yeah, I think they were,” I say, feeling a lump forming in my chest just thinking about them. I love them, I miss them, and I just want to hear their voices again.

I hear Neil cough awkwardly then return back into his art studio. I open my sketch book inside my bag and study the blank piece of paper. I grab a pencil from the pencil holder on the counter then I start sketching a werewolf with a moon behind him. My hand moved across the paper and before I knew it, I started working on another sketch, this time with colored pencils.

At school I sketch, at home I sketch, in my mind when I’m dreaming I sketch. The guys my age are into sports and video games, but I’d much rather work out at the gym, paint, sketch, write, and do murals. I heard the door open quietly and saw Maggie walking into the room, smiling. She eyes my sketchbook then mouths sorry.

“It’s all right, Maggie,” I said, putting my sketchpad away. “I finished two sketches, one of a werewolf, and the other of a cub of bears.”

“You certainly draw a lot of animals,” Maggie noted as she started walking into the kitchen to make dinner. “How about drawing people? Maybe a girl at your school?”

“All the girls at my school are interested in dudes that are on a team of some sport. They aren’t interested in the guy who’s quiet and loves to be artistic. I’ve actually had to be a little of a douche just so people wouldn’t call me a girl.”

“Well maybe your friends on the spy squad will like you for who you are,” I heard Maggie say inside of the kitchen. “I hear from Neil that they’re two girls on the squad with you.”

“I really don’t care who or what they are,” I say quietly, barely audible for Maggie to hear. I got up from the couch and walked up to my room and frown at my wall. I do this a lot when I’m trying to think. My wall is different than everyone else’s wall. I’ve written everything I like, and all my past friends on it. I see one name in particular that takes me to home