Get Your Spy On Chapter 15

Get Your Spy On

Chapter 15

Wendy’s POV

My first mission with my squad went terrible. We all nearly died, and on top of it all, Tower Squad left us to die. I thought at least Shane, Shiny, and Slick liked us, but all they cared about was themselves. I have to go back to headquarters today so Ben can do a full report on what happened. I’m sure Tower Squad will lie through their teeth, and Eric won’t speak up for us because he’s too scared to do anything.

I turn my computer off, deciding to take a break from schoolwork. I go down the stairs and see my mother sitting on the couch, her baby bump starting to show a lot. She’s been watching the news all day, hoping to hear more about dad. I try my best to pretend she isn’t there, but it’s hard to. She refuses to talk to me when it’s just us here. She’ll act as if we’re best friends when people are over, but once they leave through the front door, she’s icy to me. It’s fine with me though. I didn’t want to have to take care of a pregnant woman anyways.

I pull my hair in a ponytail, put on my best pair of sweats, pack my bag, and then leave without saying good-bye. It’s not like she cares or anything. I make sure the door is locked, and then I get in my car and head to the headquarters. I put my phone in my lap to see I have a text from the Leader telling me she’s going to call me in two hours and to answer promptly.

I swallow the guilt inside of me, and pretend that what I’m doing isn’t wrong. It’s not wrong to protect your family even though your family won’t even speak to you. My hands tighten on the steering wheel, and I force myself to calm down. It feels like I’m going to burst with emotion at any second. I know I promised myself to be tough and be fearless, emotionless when it comes to these things, and so far I’ve been doing good, except for that moment on the bench with the others, but I had to do that or else I’d look mean.

I feel something tug in my heart just thinking about what happened yesterday. I can’t believe how much I actually meant every word I said. I’ve grown attached to them, I can’t let that happen. I will have to kill them when the time comes. They’ll try to get in the way of me getting my mother to safety with the baby and I can’t let that happen. Their allegiance to the Alpha is sickening, but they don’t know who the Alpha really is. I do though.

When I get to the headquarters I see Eric is already there, waiting outside of the building. When he sees me, his face lights up a bit, and he hugs me hello. We both lean against the concrete wall and wait for the others to arrive. Alex arrives next, accompanied by his brother, who walks briskly to the door, not even glancing in our direction. Alex gives us an apologetic look and then stands next to me.

“Who are we waiting for?” he asks, glancing around curiously.

“Sloane,” Eric and I say in unison.

Alex face darkens for a moment, but he plays it off the best he can. It doesn’t take a genius to see how he feels about Sloane, and now that we all agreed not to date each other it must be agonizing seeing her every day, hours at a time.

Soon, Sloane arrives, looking terrible. Her hair is in a messy bun and it looks like she hasn’t slept at all last night. She smiles at us, but it looks weak.

“What’s wrong?” I ask worriedly.

She rubs her eyes tiredly as we all head inside the building. “Sandy and I have been taking turns taking care of mom, and to be honest, it’s hard work. She wakes up at random moments, asking random questions, and then falls asleep right when she asks. The Alpha promised to have some people working on medicine to help fix what my father did to her, but he hasn’t gotten back to me on it.”