chapter fourteen

I look at the clock hanging on my office wall. 11:30. Louis and Kaylee should be showing up soon. I look at my computer screen for some emails.

My front desk, Carol, walks into my office. I look up and smile at her.

" What's up Carol?" I ask.

" Your daughter and friend are here. Should I send them in?" Carol says.

" Yeah, you can send them in." I say looking back at my computer screen. I hear her walk out and footsteps walk in.

" Hi mummy!" Kaylee exclaims. I take my eyes off the screen. I look at her and smile. Kaylee runs to me and climbs into my lap.

" Hello peanut. How was preschool today?" I say kissing her cheek.

" It good. How baby?" Kaylee says. I smile even more knowing Kaylee is protective over my baby.

" The baby is doing just fine." I say. Kaylee smiles.

" She's been talking about being a big sister the whole car ride here." Louis says. Louis sits down in the chair in front of my desk. I look at Kaylee on my lap.

" Is someone excited to be a big sister?" I ask Kaylee, bouncing her a little in my lap. She giggles and nods her head.

" So, we ready to go get something to eat?" Louis asks. I nod my head. I place Kaylee on the ground and she runs to Louis. I stand up and grab my purse. I walk over to the door of my office. I walk out with Louis and Kaylee following me. I walk up to Carol's desk.

" What can I do for you Ms. Espinosa?" Carol asks.

" I'm going out for lunch. Take any messages people send me please. And if you need me, just call my cell-phone." I say.

" Will do. Have a good lunch." Carol says.

" Thank you." I say. I walk to the elevator with Louis and Kaylee following. I look at Louis and smile. Louis looks at me.

" Why are you smiling at me like that?" Louis asks.

" Because I like to smile?" I say more as a question than a statement.

" Me too! See mummy!" Kaylee says smiling at us. Louis pinches her cheeks.

" Beautiful smile peanut!" Louis says. Kaylee giggles. The elevator doors open and the three of us walk in. I click the ground floor button and we go down.

" So how has work been?" Louis asks.

" It was boring today. What about you Lou?" I ask.

" You know how dance life is." Louis says. I nod my head.

" Mummy, when I dance?" Kaylee asks.

" Well, you're on break now because its Christmas time. In January is when you start up again." I say. The elevator doors open and we walk out.

" But I dance!" Kaylee says.

" You can't when you're on break peanut." I say as we walk out of the office building and towards my car.

" But I dance!" Kaylee complains. She stops in the middle of the parking lot and stomps her foot. Louis and I both look at her.

" Peanut, lets get to the car. It'll be a lot warmer in there." I say.

" But I dance!" Kaylee pouts.

" You will be able to dance. Just not right now." I say.

" Now!" Kaylee screams. Louis runs up to her and picks her up. She starts kicking and screaming, but at least we're getting her out of the parking lot. We walk to my car and Louis puts Kaylee in her carseat as I sit in the drivers seat.