chapter twenty-three

I was slipping my flats on by the front door. Liam had Luke on his back and Kaylee on his hip. I wanted to go to work today, but Liam was lecturing me on going to work.

" Are you sure you and baby will be fine? I don't think you should go today." Liam says.

" Liam, we'll be fine. What are the chances cupcake will come today?" I say.

" Millie, the due date has past, he can come anytime. Even the doctor says to stay in bed until you feel him come." Liam says.

" Liam, I'll be fine. I need to go into work today, they said we are really busy today." I say.

" But what about our brother mommy?" Luke asks. I look at Luke on Liam's back.

" He'll be fine. I promise I'll be careful." I say.

" But Millie, what if you go into labour?" Liam asks.

" I probably won't, but I can let you know immediately. I've gone through labor twice, I think I can handle it." I say.

" How about you go in for a couple hours and then come back home and go to bed?" Liam asks.

" I don't like that. How about I just go to work and you don't worry about me?" I say.

" Millie, please just listen. I need you to be careful for cupcake. You can go into labour anytime." Liam says.

" I know I can. But I promise I won't go today. Am I allowed to go to work now?" I say.

" No." Liam says. I roll my eyes.

" I'm going. Bye." I say. I kiss Luke's and Kaylee's mouths. I look at Liam.

" Please be careful." Liam says.

" I promise." I say. Liam pecks my lips. I turn around and walk out of the door. I unlock the car and walk towards the car. I get in the car and start the car. I pull out of the driveway and drive towards my work building. As I was driving, cupcake kept kicking at me. I smile down at my stomach.

" Cupcake, are you in that kicking mood again?" I ask. Cupcake just continued to kick at my stomach.

Eventually, I get to my office building. I find a parking space close to the front door. I pull myself out of my car. I close the car door and lock the car again. I slowly walk towards the office building. I walk in and go towards the elevator. The elevator doors open and I walk in. I press the up button and I feel the elevator go up. I eventually get up to my floor. I walk out of the elevator and Carol looks at me weird.

" Millie, why are you here? You look like you're going to give birth anytime." Carol says. She walks around to where I stand and helps me walk towards my office.

" They told me there's a lot of work to do today, so I needed to come in." I say. Carol opens my office door and we walk inside. She leads me to my desk chair and helps me sit down. I lay my head back on my chair.

" No one else is here except for me. The office is closed today." Carol says.

" Well, that's weird. Anyway, what is there for me to do?" I say.

" To go home." Carol says.

" Carol, I'm already here. I can't just leave. Let me do something since I'm here." I say.

" I guess you could look over what they did yesterday and see if it's alright." Carol says. She walks out of the office and comes back in with paper work. She hands me the paper work.

" Thank you Carol." I say.

" Please holler if anything happens with your baby, okay?" Carol asks. I nod my head. Carol walks out of office. I start looking through the paperwork. Everything looked good so far.