chapter eighteen

I sat in my desk chair in my office. I lean my head back. Today has been a rough day and I still have an hour left of work. And some of the problem was my stomach was killing me. I look down at my stomach.

" I hope you're having fun killing me cupcake. Because I'm not enjoying it." I say. My office door opens and Carol walks in holding something behind her back.

" Ms. Espinosa, I know today has been a rough day, but I think you should enjoy it because it's your birthday." Carol says pulling a cupcake and a little present from behind her back. I smile.

" Thank you Carol. No wonder you haven't said happy birthday to me." I say. Okay yes, today is my 25th birthday, but I really wasn't expecting anyone to get me anything. Carol places the cupcake and present on my desk. I smile up at her.

" This is wonderful of you. You honestly didn't need to do this." I say.

" Oh, please. The team needed to get something for the best boss ever on her birthday." Carol says.

" I can't thank you enough, Carol." I say.

" You don't have to." Carol says," Open your gift." I pick the gift up and take the tissue paper out. I look to see a coffee mug. I pick it up and I smiled.

" Omg, Carol, this is adorable." I say. The coffee mug said in big letters, ' The Best Boss'.

" Yeah, we thought you would like that. Oh, and we also gave you a $50 Starbucks gift card." Carol says.

" Thank you. I don't know how I can repay you." I say.

" It's alright, Ms. Espinosa. No need to." Carol says.

" You honestly made me in such a better mood." I say. My phone starts ringing. I pick it up and answer it.

" Hello, this is Ms. Espinosa from Espinosa Ads, how may I help you?" I answer.

" Millie, when are you coming home?" Louis whines through the phone. I roll my eyes.

" Louis, I have another good hour till I come home." I say.

" But your children miss you." Louis whines.

" Louis, they've known my work schedule forever. They don't miss me right now knowing I'm at work." I say.

" Well, I need to tell you something." Louis says.

" Then tell me." I say.

" I need to tell you in person." Louis says.

" Please just tell me Louis. I don't have time for this." I say.

" No, I need to tell you in person. So, get off work." Louis says.

" Louis, you know I can't just get off work." I say.

" Excuse me Ms. Espinosa, I'm suggesting you leave for the night. We haven't been busy today, and you can go home enjoy your night with your children." Carol says.

" But what if someone needs an advertisement while I'm gone?" I ask.

" It will only be for an hour. And I promise I will get what they need. Just go home." Carol says.

" Well, I guess I can go home." I say.

" No, you don't guess. You are coming home to spend your birthday with your children." Louis says.

" Alright, fine. I'll be there as fast as I can." I say," Bye Louis."

" Bye Millie!" Louis says and hangs up. I roll my eyes. I look at Carol.

" I guess I'm going home. Please let me know if there's anyone needing an advertisement." I say standing up and gathering my things.

" Of course. I'll let you know right away. Have a good night. I hope your birthday was okay." Carol says.