N.B 1

"Rainier Laurent"

"Rainier"

"Psss"

It was happening again. In my head. My body was being projected violently in a closed compartment before the plunge came. There was a splash, seconds before my body was immersed in water the bottom of which was too dark to make out anything. I hit the steering wheel forcefully and the airbag deployed. I scrambled to get it away from me, feeling like it was suffocating me. I wanted to breathe, but I knew I couldn't. I turned to my right and saw something I had never wanted to see, or imagined I would see. A body lay limp in the water-flooded car pressed on the front passenger seat against the dashboard, even though it was still secure in the seat. I raised a cold hand to touch it, my movements slowed by the water around. It didn't respond to my touch. I gripped hard on the shoulder and shook vigorously. Panic was setting in, my brain had activated fight-or-flight. We had to get out of there. The person turned then. I gasped in horror. There was blood flowing from the eyes I loved. Though we were in water the streams were uninterrupted. The face looked distorted.

"I hate you", the person said with venom in every word, bubbles forming around his mouth.

It was apparent he could breathe in water with no problems and I couldn't, because I suddenly started spluttering water after the gasp. With each splutter I inhaled in more, filling my lungs with water.

"Rainier!"

I caught my breath, and realized I wasn't drowning. I wasn't in a car deep in water. I was in a classroom and my friend had just whispered my name vehemently.

"Uh...present!" I said quickly, after registering that the teacher was taking the register.

"You've only just walked into my class and you are already zoning out?" the teacher reprimanded looking at me closely.

"I'm sorry sir", I said clearly.

"Juliette Laurent", the teacher called out.

I sighed and almost zoned out again. Had it not been for the person behind me, I probably would have.

"Rainier", she whispered.

I turned to look into eyes like mine. They were the color of violets, unusual and distinctive. Juliette Laurent was a beautiful girl with fair skin and a charming smile that would make many melt. Her light brown hair fell in waves down the sides of her face; framing the face I loved seeing. Her subtle pink lips parted.

"What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing", I said swiftly.

Julie couldn't know what I was thinking about. I didn't like admitting that I was failing miserably at something. I couldn't tell her I was relapsing. She would be crushed. I told Julie everything. She was my twin sister and best friend. The bond between us was that of unconditional love. That meant she felt everything I felt, even the pain. If I told her about my pain she was going to carry the burden of it for the rest of the day.

"It was something. You tensed", she said.

"Julie, it's nothing. Stop worrying", I said.

"Are you having those dreams again?" she asked tentatively.

I stayed quiet. I couldn't lie to her while she was looking at me like that. She was already worried.

I heard the door of the classroom open and I turned. I was glad about the interruption, even though I knew that wasn't the end of the conversation.

I looked at the person who opened the door as they walked in. They hadn't even bothered knocking, and Mr. Calloway was particular about that. No one took up his time without asking for permission to do so.