N.B 17

Ryan's POV

The more time I spent with Rain, the more time I wanted to spend with him. He intrigued me, in a way that made me feel all warm and giddy inside.

On Friday I was going to ask him if we could spend the afternoon together. My uncle had decided to give me the Friday off after I begged incessantly. I didn't have anything particular in mind, but I hoped it would just be the two of us. That idea was thwarted when at lunch time, Jasmine suggested something.

"Hey guys, how about we go to the roller rink after school?"

We were at the cafeteria during lunch. All six of us were there, and I could swear Julie looked at me weirdly every now and then.

"That sounds like a good idea", Jordan said. "I'm in".

"In", Julie said.

I wondered then what she would say if I said I too was going.

"Sounds good", Rain said. "We haven't been there in a while".

"I'm coming too", Anthony said.

"Ryan?" Jordan said.

"Uh, sounds good. I'd love to join you guys", I said.

Rain looked at me. My heart skipped a beat every time he did.

"Not working?" he asked.

"No. It's amazing that under that crocodile exterior, my uncle has a heart. He let me off today", I said.

He smiled lightly. Julie looked at me then. Her eyes were firing warning shots. Either she knew what happened between Rain and I or she could see through me. Maybe she knew that I was thinking about how her brother had a lovely smile or that his hair looked really beautiful in the light of the cafeteria. Whatever it was, she didn't like it.

"Great. Meet there?" Jasmine asked.

I wanted Rain alone with me like it had been in his car the previous day. I wanted his attention focused on me. Of course it was silly. It was not like anything would develop from it.

Everyone nodded.

After lunch we had one more class and school was out. We all walked together to outside the building where we would part.

Everyone left except Julie, Rain and I.

"Do you know where the roller rink is?" Rain asked.

"Yeah, I'm quite familiar with this town", I said.

"Do you...need a lift?" he asked. The uncertainty in his voice was nice, yet kind of made me feel bad.

"I'll be fine. I'll take the bus", I said.

"I don't mind giving you a lift", he said.

The thought of being alone with him in the car was inviting, but I hated that he too was 'rescuing' me. I didn't need rescuing! I wasn't a charity case.

"You heard the guy, he'll take the bus. Come on", Julie said tugging at Rain's arm.

Clearly Julie still hadn't warmed up to me. I didn't like it, especially since her and Rain were close, but I liked it at that point. I didn't like the way Rain was treating me.

"Uh, okay. See you there?" Rain said.

I nodded.

I watched as they left. I heard a bit of their conversation.

"Jules sometimes you aren't nice", Rain said.

"I hate it when my brother is taken advantage of", Julie said.