N.B 29

Rainier's POV

I parked at the side of the road, just before crossing the bridge. It was a road I knew very well, but I hadn't been there for almost a year. The heater was on in the car so it was warm and cozy. Outside however, it was freezing. I felt that as soon as I exited the car. The door closed with a thud and I stood there frozen. Snow covered most of the road, but you could see tire tracks.

I melted after a minute and took the few steps to where the bridge started. It was a small arch bridge with railings on the side. The previous year's railing on the right side had no doubt been replaced. I was the only one on the bridge. It was rarely used. Though it was a way to get into town, it wasn't a common one. I don't know why I had chosen it that day.

I walked slowly to the right railing. I touched the top horizontal bar hesitantly. It was cold to my touch. My hand protested in pain, but I forced it to hold on to the bar.

I closed my eyes as tears fell. I was standing at the place where everything had started. I couldn't remember, but I knew I was at the right place. I placed my other hand on the bar. I felt a shiver coming and I fought to suppress it. My body was protesting.

I opened my eyes and looked at the water below. It was still and probably freezing-cold. I wondered what lay at the bottom.

"Why don't you jump in and find out for yourself?" I found myself thinking.

I wiped my tears with the back of my hand, which seemed very close to freezing. I thrust my hands in my jean pocket, but because they were cold the material actually hurt. I pulled them out and thrust them under my armpits instead. I welcomed the warmth.

I realized the bridge had nothing for me. There was nothing, and certainly no salvation. It was just a bridge with memories that weren't even mine. I brushed my almost bare arms with my warmer hands.

Instantly, I felt like I was being literally touched by someone else other than me. I heard a laugh and was instantly transported to a memory that didn't seem to be mine.

Chuckle.

"Tristan!" I warned.

One more chuckle.

"Tristan I swear I'll pull over if you keep doing that", I said.

We were in a car going somewhere. I was driving. The car was warm. Tristan kept touching my thigh, probably making the car warmer with the heat he was generating in me by just doing that.

"I won't mind", he said grinning. He had the most beautiful smile. His lips were perfect and so were his teeth. They were pure white.

"If we are late for the movie I swear you will pay", I warned, though I was smiling.

He smiled and removed his hand. There was a short silence.

"Can we come home straight after the movie? I want to show you something", he said.

I nodded. "What?"

"Our 2 years collage", he said.

I grinned. "I hope you did not put that embarrassing picture".

"It's a beautiful picture. You sleep beautifully, like an angel".

"My eyes look half closed!" I said in horror.

"Eh, I like it. You always look amazing. I can't wait to spend our first Christmas together", he said.

"I can't wait either baby", I said.