N.B 3

Rainier's POV

"Dick!" I shouted towards Ryan's back. He had just seconds ago pushed me aside so he could walk past.

I thought he didn't hear, but he turned around and gave me the middle finger before walking away.

"What the fuck? Somebody needs a serious chat with me", Jasmine said loudly.

According to the girls, it was their job to look after me. Their protection had been annoying already, but that year it went into overdrive. When I first came out, they assumed I was going to go shopping with them for heels and make-up. They treated me like a girl, which was annoying to say the least. That wore off when they realized I wasn't into make-up and girl stuff, but the protectiveness didn't wear off. They felt it was their duty to protect me, which I could do all by myself.

"I don't think so", I said.

"Are you standing up for him?" Jasmine asked.

"No, I'm just saying you need to lay off on the protectiveness. If someone is going to have a chat with him, it's me".

"As long as you tell him he can go to the nearest hell, I'm okay with that", she said. "Wait, that's the new guy in your class, right?"

"Yep, that's him".

"Is he gay?"

That question caught me off-guard.

"Uh...I don't know", I shrugged. "Why? Do you like him?"

"I barely know him!" she said. "It's just that Jules...never mind".

"I wouldn't mind, except I know you and Julie are always up to something. Spill", I said.

"Jules said- in passing- that you and him would make a good-looking couple", she said.

My eyes enlarged. Good-looking what? But I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I knew Julie was on a manhunt for me. She had been on a manhunt for me since I came out of the closet. She didn't set me up on dates, but I got to hear about all the gay guys she knew, why this person would be great and why this one wouldn't. That stopped when I got a boyfriend. But now we were back there. I didn't mind much, mostly because whoever she liked today was forgotten tomorrow, but I wasn't in the right frame of mind then.

"In passing huh? When was that? I'm pretty certain you've never been alone with Julie today", I said.

"Okay, it was over text".

"Well, she's mistaken", I said.

"Yeah, she is. He's way too arrogant for a sweet guy like you".

By then we were walking towards the parking lot. It was just the two of us. Julie wasn't with us. She had forgotten her notebook in her locker and had gone to fetch it. She hadn't seen the Ryan incident. We had intended on waiting for her near the door, which made us walk really slow. For some reason I understood where Ryan was coming from, but he hadn't needed to be rude about it.

Jasmine got into her truck.

"Tell Julie I had to pick up Tyra", she said.

I nodded as she backed out of parking.

I got into a white car just next to where Jasmine's truck had been. It wasn't mine. It was Julie's, an Audi A1. Julie and I had a car each. We were the only kids and got spoilt rotten. We used the same car when we went to school since we almost had the same classes, plus, we saved on gas.

I sat on the passenger seat for a while, fiddling with the radio.

"Winter is only 42 days away, are you getting ready folks?...." a voice came over the radio.