N.B 19

Ryan's POV

"You are awfully quiet".

I looked up from my plate after hearing my uncle's voice. We were at the dinner table. Everyone was eating and talking. Seconds ago I had been cleaning up the plate of lasagna I had been offered. I'd been thinking about asking for a second helping. Truthfully I had been thinking about a lot more than that.

Rain was on a date with a guy named Sebastian. I had never even met Sebastian. I didn't even know what he looked like. But I was jealous of him. I was jealous of the fact that he was with Rain and I wasn't. What if Rain decided he liked him and they started dating?

My thoughts were just ridiculous. How can I be jealous of Sebastian when I didn't even know what I felt for Rain? If Rain decided he wanted to be with Sebastian the logical thing to do would be to be happy for him. Sebastian was going to give him something I couldn't. I wasn't relationship material, not after everything that had happened. I wasn't even open about my sexuality!

My uncle's words registered in my mind, disrupting my thoughts.

"Uh, yeah" I murmured. I certainly could not tell him what I was thinking about.

My uncle wasn't religious, but he obeyed society's laws. He was a well-standing man who loved order and doing things the right way. I couldn't tell him I was thinking about a guy, or that I felt something for that said guy. I wasn't sure how he'd react, but I knew whatever reaction it was, it wasn't going to be good.

"Are you upset that I said you couldn't go out?" my uncle asked.

I shook my head. It's not like I had any idea where I would go if he had decided to lift my curfew.

"Daddy, Ryan was going on a date", Emily blurted.

My brows met. Where on earth did she get that? I looked at her.

"I heard you in your room talking about it", she said sheepishly. She'd been eavesdropping and didn't want me to get angry at her.

I really couldn't tell when she'd heard me talk, but she had obviously done so. I had talked to myself aloud at some point about Rain's date. Emily must have caught the wrong end of the stick.

"You were going on a date?" my aunt asked. Her voice told me she wasn't happy about it. She was no doubt remembering everything that had happened 2 years prior. It had started with a date.

I was going to answer, but my uncle said, "Why didn't you tell me? I would have adjusted your curfew a bit".

My aunt gave him a look of disapproval. If it were up to her she would make sure I had no contact with the human beings of the opposite sex. To her, my uncle was supporting and encouraging my previous behavior.

"Emily got it wrong. I wasn't going on a date", I said.

"Were you planning on asking a girl out then? I could give you tips", uncle said.

It seemed the look my aunt had given him hadn't worked.

"I am sure Ryan hasn't met someone he likes yet. He's been here for a couple of weeks. The trick is not to rush into things", aunt said.

Her words weren't direct, but I knew what she meant. After 2 years she still hadn't let the whole thing go. I didn't get to hear about her disapproval much because I hadn't stayed with her then, but now that I was she wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. I guess she knew if I messed up it could potentially be her and my uncle's responsibility. I was after all their responsibility now.