N.B 30

Ryan's POV

I got to Joe's and waited for Rain at the corner table. Joe's was a diner that served the best pancakes. I'd been to it the previous year when my parents could get along for just one day. It had nice memories for me, and I hoped I wasn't about to ruin that.

I had made a decision when I was standing with Rain at the bridge. I needed to tell him something, something that could potentially destroy our just renewed relationship.

As I waited I thought of everything that had happened on the bridge. As I neared the bridge I got the fright of my life when I saw Rain standing next to the railing. My immediate thought was that he was going to jump. He was going to complete what he thought should have happened in the beginning. I don't know if it was the fear or the coldness of the air as it bit into my skin, but I realized I had finally fallen. I loved him. It didn't matter what he did to my parents, I loved him. I could forgive him because I knew he regretted it. It would need some getting used to, but I would try. I would try for us, because I wanted him in my life.

He told me he remembered, and that it wasn't him. I had mixed feelings knowing that. I was happy because it wasn't him, but I was sad because it meant my dad who was probably driving had caused the crash and the death of his boyfriend. It took a while to sink in, but it finally did. I just knew he wasn't lying. His eyes told me that.

When he said he loved me, I felt weird sensations in the pit of my stomach. It was like a magical moment where your dreams come true. My reaction was to kiss him, because it felt right. I had missed him terribly even though I didn't allow myself to feel it. I didn't feel ashamed about letting him know now that I knew he loved me.

He loved me, but was that enough? I was about to reveal something heavy.

My phone rang just as I saw Rain walking to my table. It was my uncle. He'd called numerous times. I didn't answer. I had more pressing issues.

"Hey, sorry", Rain said as he sat opposite me. "It's hard to find parking here". He put his car keys on the table.

"It's not that hard. You are just not aggressive enough", I said smiling.

"You are right. Two guys took my spot", he said. "I don't like fighting about parking spaces".

"Ever so sweet", I said.

"That doesn't sound like a compliment", he said narrowing his eyes.

"It is. It's one of the things I love about you. It's better than walking away from such a fight with a bloody nose", I said.

"Speaking from experience?" he asked.

I shook my head. "But I've had my fair share of fights. After my parents died, I found out they were in deep debt. The bank took the house and the cars, except mine which was given to me by my grandpa. I had nothing but the car, so I sold it for cash. I dropped out of school and worked odd jobs to feed myself and put a roof over my head. It was hard. I made nasty friends, who did crime for a living. They sold drugs and I did collections for them. My uncle found me somehow and put a stop to everything. He forced me here".

Rain was listening intently. He wasn't judgmental about my criminal past.

"I didn't want to come here. I just felt like a failure who would mess up again. When I was with the gang, no one judged me. But no one cared about me either. That's why they didn't say anything unless it concerned their money. My uncle...he...I don't like to admit it, but he really rescued me when I needed him the most. My life was going down the drain and I was hopeless to stop it. I've been thinking that I'm going to start really investing in my life. I am going to try and make it, and behave. Well, starting tomorrow", I said.