N.B 22

Rainier's POV

My day had been quite interesting. And it was about to get even more interesting. When I got the call from Ryan I had been surprised by his request. I'd been worried about him the whole day so I was relieved when he called. I didn't really know how I felt about the drugs, but I knew that they hadn't erased what I felt for him.

I didn't endorse recreational drugs. I had no experience with them but I knew they ruined lives. If Ryan was taking and/or selling drugs we were definitely going to have a problem. Plus, my parents would not allow me to hang out with him or even be friends with him.

When he said he needed a place to stay, I was stunned. I made a split decision. It was freezing outside. If Ryan came to me, he had nowhere to go. I obviously didn't own a house so I was probably his last resort.

I walked out of my room, deactivated the alarm and went downstairs. I unlocked and opened the door as quietly as possible. I stepped out to the lawn in front of the house.

"Hi", I said to Ryan. He was standing there with a schoolbag. He looked tired. "Did you walk from your house to here?"

He nodded.

"You must be tired", I said.

He breathed loudly. "I'm fine".

Because I had been under the warmth of a blanket, I suddenly felt cold. I hugged my arms.

"What happened?" I asked.

He looked down. "I ran. It was stupid. I couldn't stay".

"You can sleep with...in my room. My parents won't approve so you are going to have to sneak around", I said.

"You won't get into trouble?"

"I will. But I'm doing something nice, so hopefully my punishment won't be that bad", I said smiling.

"I can't let you..." he said and I cut in.

"Would you rather freeze to death? Come in. I'm freezing already", I said.

We walked back to the house. He remarked about how beautiful the house was when I set the alarm. I told him to be quiet. I led him to my room. Seconds after we walked in and closed the door, there was a knock.

I told him to be quiet.

"Yeah?" I said loudly.

"Was it you downstairs?" It was dad. Something told me he had a baseball bat in his hand. I was surprised he even heard anything. He slept like a baby.

"Yes"

"Fiddling with the alarm?"

"I wasn't fiddling. I needed water. Would you rather it went off and the security guys came?"

"The next time you do that I will batter you with a baseball bat and apologize later", he said.

"You mean mom's high-heeled shoes?"

Ryan stifled a laugh. I had to laugh to mask his laugh.

"I will get you for that. Goodnight".

"Goodnight", I said.

I heard dad walk away. Seconds later I heard a door open and close.

"I cannot believe you said that to your dad. That was funny", Ryan said.

I shrugged. "It's just an inside joke".

He placed his schoolbag on the floor. "Thanks".

"It's no big deal", I said.