N.B 8

Rainier's POV

I hadn't painted for a while, so when I finally did, I unleashed a torrent. It was a downpour of imagination and a little bit of stress. My dad always said we painted better when we were stressed or sad. In a way he was right.

My latest piece was abstract. It was just a bunch of colors floating this way and that way. I used bright and dark colors. I unlike my dad was able to finish a painting in a day. Of course he created masterpieces and I didn't.

When I finished I just looked at my painting. I didn't realize someone else was looking at it.

"Ravishing", it was dad's voice.

"R dad, R. RAvishing" that was Julie.

It was Saturday, late in the afternoon and I was in the studio. I had thought I was alone. Apparently there were two people looking at my painting. How had I not seen them, or even heard them enter?

I turned to them. Dad looked at Julie who was behind him. She wrapped her arms around his waist.

"I am not American. Why should I sound like one?" dad said.

Julie loved correcting dad, especially on his r, which sounded like rgr.

"I don't really know why, but you should", Julie said attempting the French accent.

"I should take you to France for a year. That was terrible", dad said chuckling, to which Julie groaned.

"You need more than a year on that one. What are you guys even doing here?" I asked.

"Hey! I'll have you know I'm a fast learner. It's not like you can do any better", Julie said.

"Dad?" I said.

"Rain learned to walk before you, to speak before you, to...." Dad said but Julie interrupted.

"Whatever", she said removing her arms from dad's waist.

He pulled her to him. "I'm kidding Princesse. You are way better".

"He's lying to you, I said. By the way I asked you two a question", I said.

"It's my studio?" dad said.

"It's my dad's studio", Julie said.

"Excuse me, your section is over there", I said to dad, pointing to a curtained room.

Dad shrugged. "This whole room is mine", he said smugly.

"Your painting is beautiful, what were you thinking of?" Julie asked.

"Definitely not you two. I don't know, I just painted", I replied.

"It's definitely something to show off. What do you say we show it at the gallery tonight? I have an empty spot, and Julie tells me you are not doing anything tonight, so you can come and listen to people's comments anonymously", dad said.

"First things first, you don't show amateur stuff at the gallery. Second, this isn't even good enough to leave this room. Third, I am going somewhere tonight", I said.

Dad loved my work, but he had never gone as far as showing it, not to the public anyway. He knew how possessive and critical I was of it. The painting was okay, it definitely wasn't the best I'd done. That should tell you dad's intention was to get me out of the house. I liked going to the gallery -why he didn't just ask me to go with him, I don't know.

"Oh you are? Where? How come you didn't tell me?" Julie attacked me with questions.

"To the party", I said briefly, like it was no big deal.