N.B 25

Ryan's POV

I loved spending time with Rain. We kissed and cuddled and talked. We were a normal couple, except that it was our secret. I didn't like keeping us a secret, but I had to. I wasn't ready to come out yet.

I was worried about my uncle's reaction, and my aunt who had a tongue like a whip. It wasn't just them I was worried about. I knew a lot of homophobes. I was afraid that if I came out I would be an outcast. Rain was out and wasn't an outcast, but he wasn't like me. I was the tough guy. The company I had kept in the previous year didn't like gays and lesbians. If my uncle one day decided he'd had enough of me, I needed to go somewhere I belonged. And I belonged with those thugs he didn't like.

I was getting along with more of my colleagues at work now too. They were macho men who despised any weakling behavior. There was just no way I could let them found out I was with a guy. I just couldn't do it yet.

Rain and I spent more time together. My uncle liked him so I was allowed to spend time with him. Obviously he didn't know what Rain and I were.

I didn't tell my uncle what I'd overheard his wife saying. I only told him I ran away because he'd made me angry yelling at me for a crime I didn't commit. He still wasn't convinced that the weed wasn't mine, but I wasn't concerned. I was a bit worried about being expelled though. I didn't exactly have a good track record; no other school would take me.

A week after my suspension Rain came to visit at the house again. My uncle and aunt were going to a friend's daughter's engagement party, leaving me to babysit the kids. My aunt was of course not happy about that, but my uncle assured her the kids would be fine. What could go wrong?

I called Rain and asked him to come babysit with me. I'd met his parents so they agreed to let him come. He was to be home at 10 pm though, so I needed to make sure he was or they wouldn't trust me again.

He arrived and I introduced him to Emily and Sally. They took a liking to him, more so because he could draw and I couldn't. He drew some pictures for them and they colored. He was really good with them. He also allowed them to tie his hair into a high ponytail. His hair wasn't that long so the ponytail was forced. He had already been wearing a thin black elastic headband so the girls pushed it back, not allowing hair that couldn't reach the ribbon to stick out. Admittedly, it looked good on him.

I was glad when the girls' bedtime arrived. I loved spending time with them, but they'd been hogging Rain's attention and I was a little jealous. I wanted to spend some time alone with him before he had to go.

We tucked the girls in and soon it was just the two of us.

"Phew! Those two are a handful", I said as we left the girls' room.

"They are fun though", he said.

"Yeah, they seem to like you", I said.

"I didn't know I was that good with kids", he said.

"I love your new hairstyle, it suits you", I said chuckling.

"Thank you", he said rolling his eyes.

I took that moment to remove the ribbon, letting his hair free. "I'm sorry, but I love your hair like this so I can pull on it", I said, whispering the last part.

When my hand lowered, it stopped on the part between his neck and his jaw. I raised his lips to meet mine. We kissed for a few seconds.

We got to the living area. We had decided we were going to watch a movie. I made the popcorn and we sat down.

"Neighbors?" I asked showing him the DVD. "...Or The avengers?"

"Mmm", he said concentrating hard. "Can't decide".