The Trees

(Foxy's POV)

Foxy had to admit that he was scared.

It was safe to fully admit to himself that he had a crush on Bonnie. And if she was going off through a portal, Foxy had to be worried. What if something happened while she was getting there and she was sliced into oblivion? He didn't want that to happen to her. Foxy definitely wouldn't have liked it if that happened to him.

"Fred," he called. "Make sure she's safe, okay? If she isn't . . ."

Fred shot Foxy a glare. "She'll be alright. Don't worry about it in the least."

"When will she come back?" Foxy asked.

Fred looked up into the trees, his gaze locking onto something. Foxy spun around and followed Fred's gaze. Nothing was there.

"What're you looking at?" 

"I'm looking at the trees. Why wouldn't you want to look at the trees?"

Foxy laughed. "You joking? I look at trees all the time."

"But have you ever actually looked at the trees?" Fred asked with a mystical grin. 

Foxy frowned. "We're in a forest. Everywhere I look I see--"

"You see," Fred interrupted. "You see, but you do not truly look."

"How do I do that?" Foxy asked. 

Fred laughed. "Take it all in. Absorb it. For your last moments may be nearing. So look at the trees."

Foxy was nearly agitated. What was Fred trying to tell him? "You gonna kill me or something?"

"I wouldn't kill you," said Fred. "If you look at the trees, nature, everything, you will become different. You will see things in a new way. Look at how the leaves crumble and fall. Look at how they are befallen with a blanket of snow. Look at how they turn green once more. Then, the cycle repeats. There's a cycle in nature. Did you realize that?"

"Yes, now can you--"

"I must rest," Fred interrupted. "I will leave the portal up for Bonnie to make her way back. If something goes wrong, tell me immediately."

*  *  *  *  *

(POV SWITCH TO BONNIE)

Bonnie clutched the radio, strutting back over to the portal. Did she really trust herself enough to jump back in without any help? She felt like she needed it, seeing how dark and vast the colorless portal was. It would be hard to get back through without help, but maybe all Bonnie needed to do was jump back through. 

She readied herself in front of it, feeling her nerves swimming with anxiety. It'll be okay, she thought. You did this once, you can definitely do it again.

Bonnie closed her eyes and nodded to herself. It would all turn out okay. 

Feet tingling, Bonnie launched forward into the portal. As she entered, she felt a sudden presence; an uneasiness clinging to the air and every particle of her being. Bonnie was being held back, as she found herself braking to the point she hung suspended in the nothingness. The air began to vibrate, a dull shake in every inch of the endless dimension around Bonnie. This wasn't how it was supposed to work. Bonnie was supposed to be back with the radio she clutched in her hand. No, no, this wasn't right--

All of a sudden, the pressure was released. Bonnie was sent flying backward, back through where she had entered, being spat out of the entrance. Her shoulder collided with the ground, pain exploding through every part of her body that smashed into the ground.