Happy Independence

STAR CITY, CALIFORNIA

July 4, 9:00 PDT

It was supposed to be a quiet Sunday where I could curl up on the porch swing at home or watch movies with my best friends in Gotham. Instead, I had to suit up alongside Black Canary and take down Icicle Sr. who had made a guest star appearance in the middle of Orchid Bay, directly in front of City Hall. I don't think he had a genuine reason for being there, other than to waste our time.

At the sound of Black Canary's violent shriek, I took my cue and ran out from my hiding spot with earplugs in. The icy villain seemed unfazed by the force that caused his body to briefly slide across the grass, so I sprinted with full force in his direction. I thought he had seen me coming, but I guess training sometimes with the Boy Wonder paid off. Leaping high, at least for a girl my height, I kneed Icicle in the face.

"Oof!" he grunted, dropping onto his back while I rolled a few feet away

Getting to my feet and crossing my arms, I remarked, "Give up, yet?"

He stood up, wiping his mouth, and exclaimed, "Brat!"

I sighed, "So, I'll take that as a no?"

Aiming his weapon at me, I dropped to my knees and bent backward, barely avoiding the ice ray. Dodging another attack, I jumped up, hoping to tackle him, but unfortunately, he had recovered enough to catch my leg and throw me down onto the pavement. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows this, but falling down on road concrete hurts, like a lot. And on top of that, this guy decided to place his big, uncomfortable boot on top of me.

I knew there was no use, but I tried to budge it anyway. Of course, it didn't work.

"Gotcha, brat!"

"Ouch," I winced, partly from the pain. "I'm wounded by your lack of good insults."

As I continued struggling, his face suddenly contorted to pain as BC tapped his shoulder and let out a deafening scream in his ear. Dropping his ice ray gun, Icicle Sr. toppled backward, near unconsciousness. With his boot no longer crushing my ribs, I watched in awe as Canary kick-boxed the villain until he was knocked out cold on the grass. Huh, icy come, icy go.

Black Canary walked back over and offered me a hand as the police arrived to arrest the villain.

"Took you long enough," I commented with folded arms.

Shrugging, the blonde heroine reminded me, "You wanted to be my partner, that requires trust."

"Yeah, I know." I rolled my eyes, a small smirk making its way on my face.

She smiled before leading the way across the street to a beautiful, sleek black dual-sport motorcycle parked behind a red Mazda. This was definitely my favorite part of being a superhero. Hearing my phone ping, I retrieved it from my pocket, peeking briefly at the message.

You on the way?

-Birdie

Smirking, I responded quickly.

Heading out now. See you in ten!

BC handed over my helmet to the cycle while I asked, "So, when can I drive?"

"As soon as you get your cycle license," she countered, revving up the engine.