New Member, Bad Attitudes

MOUNT JUSTICE

August 8, 09:58 EDT

Taking in the fresh air of the beach, I excitedly submersed myself in the bright sun, heating the area. The five of us exited the side of the Cave, Superboy and Kaldur walking in silence together while M'gann, Rob, and I were a few feet in front. That is until the Martian redhead couldn't hold back her enthusiasm any longer and ran ahead. 

"You ever think she'll be whelmed with the way things are here?" Robin chuckled, watching as M'gann held up her boogie board excitedly. 

I shook my head with a smile. "Nope."

As we approached her, M'gann extended her arms out dramatically, taking in the sun and smell of fresh saltwater around us. I grinned for her, happy she was getting to enjoy the little things on Earth that the rest of us enjoyed. The yellow bikini with shorts she wore contrasted perfectly with her green skin, similar to my teal tankini that complimented my pale complexion. 

Guess I really needed some tanning. 

"Hello, Megan!" the Martian exclaimed, pointing at the water before us. "We should hit the beach every day."

Robin sighed, placing a hand on his head in remembrance, "First, a moment of silence for our absent comrade."

Oh yeah. Wally started sophomore year today. I followed suit with the Boy Wonder and bowed my head in memory of the fastest kid alive. I really did hate it for him. It wasn't fair when your friends from different states started school at different times. Luckily enough for me, I didn't have that problem. 

M'gann bowed her head downheartedly for our teammate and friend. "Poor Wally."

Having already taken my moment of silence, I took a deep breath and smiled as the waves intruded on the sand. It was such a mesmerizing sight, the way that the ocean extended to land before pulling itself back in, only to repeat the action over and over. My mom used to tell me when I was six that if I wasn't careful, the ocean could take me and never give me back. 

Desperate to start our beach day, I looked around the group. Kaldur remained silent and stoic while Superboy furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. M'gann's head slowly perked up just before Robin sighed again, dropping his hand. With a wide smirk, I announced to my friends, "ANNND moment's over!"

I unfolded my beach chair in the sand and plopped my towel into it while everyone else moved into action. Superboy and Kaldur propped up the coolers they held before setting up the small grill we brought with us. Eagerly, I joined M'gann over to the water, both of us wading in and breathing deeply as we took it all in. 

We would have relaxed a little more if someone hadn't tackled me, spoiling the moment. The jolt sent me into the water, drenching me completely. When I surfaced, I playfully glared at Robin, who waved meekly and sent me a nervous grin. 

"Heh. Oops."

I cracked my knuckles with a wicked smirk. "Yeah, oops is right, birdie."

Pressing my hands together, I sent a small wave in his direction. Thanks to my advantage of height, the water hit him straight in the face. I chuckled in victory while he rubbed the water droplets off his shades. 

"Not cool, Ems," he told me seriously. 

I pointed in his direction, accusing him, "You started it, Boy Wonder."

Before our little banter could continue, a shadow loomed above us. My blue-grey eyes looked up and widened as I noticed Superboy cannonballing. I swam farther out in the hopes of avoiding the tsunami the clone caused. Unfortunately, I couldn't swim fast enough and I was thrown further into the sea while a small wave pushed me into the ocean.