Merry Christmas

Star City

December 25, 07:29 PST

"Em, Ember! You have to wake up!" My siblings' voices scream into my ear before I sink deeper and deeper into my covers and pillow.

"No," I mumble underneath a thousand layers of warmth.

Like annoying monkeys, they bounce on top of me and my bed, trying harder to get me up, as if I don't know what today is.

"Emmy, please get up! It's Christmas!" Dakota shrieks at the top of her lungs.

"No, it's not," I jokingly grumble. "Christmas isn't for another forty years."

With a giggle, Kota says, "No, silly, it's today! It's twenty-fwith!"

I can't help, but burst out in laughter at her before correcting, "Twenty-fifth, Kota."

"Tha's what I said," she smiles.

I finally rise from my laying position and tackle both my siblings with my comforter. When I notice Toby trying to get out of my grasp, I wrap the comforter around his body, keeping him on the bed, captured.

"Let me go, Em!" he cries out loud, so my parents hear him.

"You have to repeat whatever I say alright? And you have to promise me that you will do it, 'kay?" I chuckle.

"Fine!" he sighs dramatically as Dakota smiles along with me.

I begin, "I, Tobias Jacob Phillips..."

He repeats after me with an annoyed tone.

"Promise to listen to my older sister and treat her with respect."

"Promise to listen to my older sister and treat her with respect," he grits out.

"I promise to give her anything she wants whenever she wants," I say jokingly.

"No way!" he exclaims, wriggling under my grip.

"Kidding, Tob. I promise to be kind to my younger sister and not treat her as if she's below me," I continue.

"Really?" he questions with a raised eyebrow.

Glaring, I reply, "Yes, now repeat and promise."

When he does so, I say, "And I promise to stay brave and kind toward my friends, family, and anyone I come across, because the world needs a bit of bravery and kindness."

"And I promise to stay brave and kind toward my friends, family, and anyone I come across because the world needs a bit of bravery and kindness."

"You are free to go," I state, letting go of him.