Piggyback-ride?

SEVEN

The next three days, I don't see Austin at all. At first I'm kind of worried, but he obviously has other friends and school stuff and everything, too, so I decide to just blame it on me being clingy.

"Alan, dinner!", my sister yells, ultimately waking me from my extended nap. I stretch and yawn, before making my way into the dining room and sitting down at the table.

We start to eat and everyone is talking, joking and laughing. We are that kind of family, in which pretty much everything is okay, we are all really close, as though we're best friends.

"Alan, honey, there was a boy for you there while you were asleep.", my mom informs me. I immediately think of Austin - I mean, who else would come to my house for me? "What did he look like?", I ask, just to make sure. "Short, brown hair, brown eyes, pretty tall..." I nod, "And what did you tell him?"

"To come back tomorrow and that you were asleep. He was a nice boy. Who is he?"
I swallow my food before answering, "His name's Austin. I met him a few days ago."

"How do you even meet people?", my sister asks. "I was sitting outside and he came up to me and we started talking.", I shrug.

"Alan is finally getting some!", my brother laughs with a mouthful of food. "Shut the fuck up, Nick. And close your mouth when you eat, that's gross.", I tell him and flick some mashed potato from my plate onto his.

"I'm just gonna pretend I didn't hear that.", my mom says in a warning tone. We ignore her and continue throwing insults at each other.

After dinner, I go back up to my room and talk to Aaron before falling right back asleep. I don't know how I manage to sleep this much, but I am definitely not regretting the countless hours I just slept away.

I am awoken by a soft tacking sound on my window. I am terrified and crawl towards the light switch, illuminating my room. I open the door to my room, just in case I need to run from someone (hey, you never know), before making my way over to the window.

I peek outside and suppress a groan when I see Austin standing there. He's waving and grinning at me, holding a flashlight and almost blinding me.

"Austin, what the hell?", I whisper-yell after opening the window. "Come outside!" I sigh, shaking my head. I close the window nonetheless and creep downstairs, careful not to wake up my parents.
When I step out the back door Austin is already waiting for me.

I rub my arms in an attempt to warm myself up and immediately regret not wearing a jacket. Or shoes.
Dammit, Alan, I think. After a few steps on the wetted grass, my socks are already soaked.

"Hi", Austin says casually. "Why exactly are you here?", I ask him, my teeth clattering together. It's freezing. He shrugs, looking a bit uncomfortable, "Well, I didn't really wanna be home, so I though I'd come to your house and give it a shot."

"Give what a shot?"
"Waking you up and getting on your nerves until you strangle me."

I laugh quietly, "But I'm cold. Plus my socks are wet." He looks at me for a few seconds before smirking. He walks over to me, "Piggyback-ride to the hammock?"

A grin spreads across my face and he crouches down in front of me. I cautiously climb onto his back and he stands back up.

"Do you ever eat?", he asks, "You weigh, like, nothing." I don't answer, partially because I am a bit insecure and partially because I am grinning so widely. He speeds up and I squeal, tightening my grip on him to make sure that I don't fall.

He is holding onto my legs really tightly, so I loosen my arms around his neck a bit. "Promise you won't drop me?"
He laughs, "I promise."

I let go of his neck and stretch both of my arms out to the sides as I start singing, "I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky! You see me running every night and day, I spread my wings and fly away!" I am almost a hundred percent sure the lyrics are wrong and I can't sing either, but I really can't care less.

Austin breaks into a legit run the last couple of feet to the hammock until we finally reach it. I hop off of his back and right into it to avoid the grass.

I'm still laughing lightly and feel like I should say something now, but I'm not sure what would be appropriate so I just smile at him. An actual genuine smile. I don't know if he notices it but I barely ever genuinely smile, so I jut hope he knows he's just accomplished something.

Austin tries to join me in the hammock which turns out to be a rather bad idea, as we end up having no choice but to practically cuddle unless one of us wants to fall out.

I begin giggling hysterically and Austin keeps moving around, apparently attempting to find a position in which we're not on top of or squeezed against each other.

Hammock Rule Number One: If you wanna get in there with someone else, you better be dating them. Cause it'll look like you're trying to start a family.

I squeal rather loudly as I finally fall out and land on the cold grass with a dull thud. "Sh! You're gonna wake up someone!", Austin shushes me, earning an eye roll. "Sh, my ass. You're the one that caused me to fall in the first place."

He ignores me and gets up to ruffle my hair with his hand and chuckles, "Your hair is such a mess right now."

I glare at him, "Well, what do you expect? You woke me up at like 2am and now you're messing it up even more. Stop complaining, I barely ever brush my hair, so I'm definitely gonna start for you in the middle of the night."
I try to fix it a bit, though, running my fingers through it.

Austin ignores me once again, "Don't worry though, it's cute." I continue to glare at him, although I can feel myself blushing and can only hope it's not as visible in the dark.

"And that face you're making is cute, too. You really need to stop.", he continues. "You need to stop talking bullshit."

He opens his mouth and is about to speak again when I cut him off, desperate to change this subject, "I'm really cold now. Like really cold."

"Let's get back into the hammock then, I'm sure that'll warm you up.", Austin jokes and I just cackle, "You shouldn't have said that. I'm not the one who has a problem with it."

I jump back in and so does Austin, kicking his shoes off and getting comfortable. Well, as comfortable as it can get.

I yawn and close my eyes. I can't help but rest my head on his shoulder because I have nowhere else to put it, but Austin doesn't seem to mind.

In fact (I don't know how the hell he does it without freaking out), he wraps his arms around me after a while, just like he's hugging me. I feel like I'm supposed to tense up or something, but I don't. I'm just comfortable and warm and happy... And so, so tired.

Before I fall asleep, I swear I feel someone kiss the top of my head, but to be honest, that was probably just my imagination.

[this and the next chapter are my fav so far yay I hope you liked]