Siblings

SEVEN

"Alan! Alan, you really have to wake up now", I hear Austin's voice. I don't react, hoping he'll just go away. I also take note of the fact that my head is on his upper chest, but decide to ignore that too, just for the time being.

My technique doesn't work, "Alan, seriously. The sun is rising and someone is probably gonna notice you're gone soon. Also the horrible cold you probably have is just gonna get worse."

"Stop talking. Let me sleep."

"Ugh, fine.", Austin grunts. He carefully gets up from beside me and then hooks his left arm under the bend of my knees and the other under the small of my back.

I'm still so damn tired, so I don't protest, I don't even open my eyes. My head falls back a bit uncomfortably, but I don't really bother correcting it, since I wouldn't know where to put it anyway.

"Put your head here. That doesn't look very comfortable.", Austin tells me, as though he's reading my mind and gestures to his shoulder with his head. I open my eyes to see what he's talking about and do as I'm told. He begins walking and in a matter of seconds, I'm fast asleep again.

"Alan!", I hear my sister. "Why won't you let him sleep? He's obviously exhausted and tired, you guys can talk later.", Austin tries to reason. "No. He snuck out of the house with another boy in the middle of the night. I heard you laughing and shit. I was worried."

"First of all, if you were worried, why didn't you come to check on him? Second of all, we both know he's way to innocent to do anything that you might consider bad, plus, he isn't able to leave the fucking backyard anyway. And last of all, Let. Him. Sleep."

With that I can feel Austin beginning to walk again and he almost jogs up some stairs like it is nothing. When he places me on my bed and pulls the covers over my still freezing body, he isn't even out of breath. I wonder if he works out or something.

I feel the mattress shift, indicating that Austin just sat down. "You're kind of... really fucking pretty.", he whispers as he touches my hair delicately and I want to answer something, anything but I keep pretending I'm asleep. I force a smile away from my face and after a few more minutes, Austin gets up.

I whine in protest and grab his wrist, "No." He chuckles quietly. "I thought you were asleep."

"I was", I lie, "I just woke up like a minute ago. How did I even get in here?" "I carried you", he shrugs and although I obviously already know that, I act surprised, "What? But I'm heavy. Especially when I'm asleep." He shakes his head, "As I said, you weigh nothing."

I sigh and yawn, covering my mouth with the hand that is not holding onto Austin. Speaking of that, "Are you gonna let me go, or?", he chuckles, "I'll stay, but I'd appreciate some blood circulation." As I loosen my grip on his wrist, I grin and hide my face in my pillow, "Shut up", I grumble, my words coming out muffled. "You like telling people to shut up, don't you?"

I hum in response, "We're three kids here, I use that on a daily basis." Austin  nods and looks like he remembers something, "Speaking of that, your sister caught me when I carried you inside. She wanted to wake you up and 'have a talk', but I convinced her to let you sleep."

Oh, right. "Was she mad?", I ask. "I don't think she was mad, just worried. And I feel like she doesn't really like me.", he chuckles, "So I got away from her as soon as possible." I nod, "Yeah, Ina can get really overprotective. I'm sure she does like you though. I used to hang out with this guy before my Agoraphobia got bad, and he came to visit me a few times after that... Damn, she hated him. He was really nice, I don't know why she kept being so mean. So unless she got all sarcastic and really, really offensive towards you, I don't think she dislikes you."

He nods. I slowly let my hand wander from his wrist to his hand, resting mine in his. His hand is so much bigger than mine. I don't grab his hand or anything, I just let it sit there and Austin doesn't seem to mind. Although I closed my eyes again, I feel like he's smiling.

And again, I fall asleep.