Chapter 6: Dark Chocolate Peanut M&Ms

You would think that after working at the mall just about every day, a person would get sick of it. Cookies, surprisingly, I could get sick of. Walking around the mall aimlessly? Not so much. I was hanging out with my co-workers today, and as Cat and I don't work the weekends, we waited for Mariana to finish her morning shift before we embarked on our Saturday fun. They keep to the rear while I stay in the front. We were all walking at the same pace but every store we passed by I had to take a look inside, even if I knew I wasn't going to buy anything. H&M was one of the stores I didn't enter and watched Mariana and Cat walk in, as Cat was looking for a dress for some campus event she had coming up. I lay my bag on top of my crossed arm, and sit there. After a while I notice a candy vendor stationed not far from the bench and walk over.

"Hello ma'am, what can I getcha? We got lollipops, M&Ms, Red Hots...?"  I peered into the cart. I see a bag of dark chocolate M&Ms and point to it. "Do you happen to have the peanut ones?" I ask, and he shakes his head. "No, sorry. But I got the regular peanut ones." I bit my lip and settle on the plan dark chocolate bag and take my candy with me upstairs. I step into Journey's to see if they have the mint green Vans I want in my size. When I'm told they don't, I leave and head back downstairs. There's a Vans store just around the food court and I step inside and ask my question again. The shoes are sold out. The man at the register gives me the option to order them online so I can pick them up later, but I decline and leave empty handed. But not before I stare longingly at the penny boards. I skating ability is decent but what I wouldn't give to be cool and ride a skate board. I head towards Rue21, passing by the Cinnabon place and reminding myself to come back and get a cinnamon roll. Or a churro. Or both. The shop mannequins placed outside Rue21 are dressed in summer clothing, with one wearing a bright orange shirt that crisscrosses in the back. I want that shirt. Instead of finding it in orange I see it in blue-green, purple, and finally the advertised color. I hesitate, wondering which to get, until a lady behind me comes up and plucks what is the last available orange shirt in my size. I leave Rue21 the same way I left Vans and decide to get both a churro and a cinnamon roll.

At least that was the plan. The minute I stop in front of Cinnabon ready to take my order I see him. Not in line. Not in the nearby food court at one of the tables. In front of me, probably as surprised as I feel. Words fail me terrible. "Hey, you're the girl from the Apple Store." I smile in reply but it falters. What are you supposed to do in these situations again? "You want to buy something or..." His smile is sweet, and his voice is nice and easy. I force myself to speak words. "Yes. I am. To both. Wait, I mean yes I was at the Apple store that day. Um, can I get a pecan cinnamon roll and a churro?" I finish off lamely. I have no clue where I was hoping to go with this. I watch as he carefully places my food in a bag, and thinking I should say something more and I blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. "Nice tattoo" I ask, pointing to the ink design on his exposed arm. I have no idea what it is. "Thanks, it's determination." I give him a blank look, and still haven't taken my food.

"Um, what now?"

"In Arabic. It's the word. Determination." I stare back at the series of black squiggles on his arm and focus back on his face. I've established this before, but he has a nice face. He doesn't look away either but I feel commotion behind me and turn around to see two others behind me. I look over at the other dude next to Beautiful Stranger and wonder why nobody has moved over. One of them gets the hint though and goes to place his order, and the guy opens his mouth to speak again. "Hey, I didn't get your name," he says as he hands over my still warm bag. "Lyric," I say and immediately take a bite of the churro and step out line. "Yours?" I ask quickly, just as the person behind impatiently vies for Beautiful Stranger's attention. "Justin." I try it out in my head. I like it. "You're kinda busy, so maybe I'll see you again?" I give an awkward wave, turn around and reach for my mouth to brush off any excess cinnamon, not waiting to hear his response.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I reach down deep to retrieve it. "Lyric! Where did you go?" Mariana starts and I notice the missed text and two missed calls from Cat. "You guys were taking forever. I walked to get a cinnamon roll." I hear air whooshing in the background and guess that they are in the car. I tell them don't wait up for me and that I'll see them later and hang up. I'm torn between the sudden urge to ask Justin when he gets off work, or find a spot to observe him from. Neither of these sound like good ideas so I walk out to the parking lot and sit in my car before pulling off. I reach with one hand into my bag and attempt to eat my churro, but the moment I look down to make sure my hand is in position I nearly swerve off the road.