Chapter 13: Summer Camp Escape

Today I find myself in the theater room watching the credits, about to movie hop once everyone exists, and right before the ushers come in. to sweep up the spilled popcorn. It's the summer movies program they always host for the kids during June, July, and August, right before school starts again. I don't even remember what I just watched, and I look up to the empty stands. I've been a funk, and I know it, but rather than let me dad catch me, I've been keeping busy between work, and staying out the house. And ignoring my phone.

Mariana had been ready to straight jump Justin when I told her what happened, with Cat asking if I wanted her to find and key his car for me. Ant had been at the top of my caller ID list for a while, but I didn't really want to talk to him either. My brother and dad were tied at the bottom, and to keep them from increasing their frequency of calls I texted them back and left it at that. The memory of the Apple store isn't as sweet as it used to be, and I dread every time I enter the mall, in fear that Justin will be there on his off hours. So far so good. I guess. There will be others ones. I guess. But if I can't even find them, does that still count? These thoughts swirl in my head and make my whole being feel heavy. I slump back in the cushioned seat and close my eyes. The crying of a screeching baby startles me, and without thinking I grab my stuff and leave the movies. Before I reached my car, I ignore everybody else's calls and texts, and pull up Sierra's number.

Hey!

It doesn't take her long to respond back.

Hey yourself! Come saveeeee mah! I hate this camp.

Where are u? I'm on my way.

There's a pause, and I wonder if she got caught with her phone out by one of the volunteers.

The GearUP program, at my school....u can sign me out!

I smile and buckle myself in. It wasn't easy but I had convinced my aunt Ja'Nice to let me add myself as an 'other contact', even though just about anybody could pick up those kids from the program, if the kid let them, and lie and say their parent or other 'relative' had arrived.

Give me fifteen more minutes.

As soon as I put my phone in the cup holder, it buzzes, and I figure it's Sierra again, replying with her joy.

I pull up into the Lincoln High school entrance, where Sierra will be starting later this year, and get out the car to head to the main office. At least that's what it says. I never went to Lincoln, and the few times I did step on the school campus were all sports related. No one is at the front desk when I step in, so I slip further in the campus, texting Sierra that I'm there and leaving the front office. No long after I pass by by the girls' bathroom, do I hear a loud whisper and look up. Sierra run-walks to me, then past me. "Come on, let's go, the longer I'm here the more I lose my mind!" I laugh, and follow her out the way I came. She doesn't give me the chance to sign her out. A part of me is afraid that we'll both get in trouble with Ja'Nice, but I figure it's worth it, as long as we don't try out luck and repeat this again in the future. "Getting you ready for college success!" Sierra intones, and I burst out laughing, the first real laugh I've had since Destin. "It's basically summer school. Why am I being punished for being smart? And thank you for saving me. Did you read the book yet?" Sierra has a way of keeping the conversation going herself, but at times she checks to make sure you're paying attention to her steady stream of chatter. "No..." I look away. She sighs and rolls her eyes, almost seeming my age. Or maybe I'm acting closer to her age. I sometimes wonder about this when the two of us get together. "You hungry?" I ask, and she nods. "Good, let's go get some Panda Buffet."

We step inside, and after paying, both of us head straight for the buffet lines before finding a seat in the back area where the larger parties of people sit. Both our plates are piled with green beans, sesame chicken, egg rolls, spring rolls, pot stickers, and fried rice to start off. Just as I begin to expertly use my chopsticks, my phone rings on the table, and Sierra pushes it over to me. "Oooh, who's Justin?" she asks, and I look down at my phone. Frowning, I push my phone to the side and say a quick grace. "Nobody," I answer flatly, and Sierra leaves it alone. For a short moment. "Lyric, if you have a stalker, aren't you supposed to report those type of things?" I cock me head to the side and give her a look. "He's not a stalker, he's a guy who- hey now!" I exclaim, and Sierra smiles sweetly. I know exactly what's she's trying to do. "You might as well explain now, you started it. I'm listening." She munches on an egg roll and looks at me expectantly.

"I take you out of camp and buy you a meal and you treat me like this?"

"I bought you a book to expand your horizons and you haven't even opened it!"

"Are you really comparing Chinese food to a book? And I did too. I read the first page. "

"Wow...one whole page. That's amazing." Her sarcasm makes me see why my family says she's my mini-self, even if we look nothing alike. I relent and decide to tell her what happen, going into a little more detail than I did for Cat and Mariana. 

"He basically lead me on, and it's my fault 'cause I'm so stupid when it comes to these things. He probably was acting the whole time. "

"Whoa. Yeah, he's a bastard straight up," Sierra says, eating from her third plate now which is completely desserts. "I'm sorry," she says, and I shrug. "Yeah, I'm sorry too." I notice she's staring at me hard, and I stare back as if to say what. "You gonna be okay?" she demands, and I roll my eyes, pushing my chair back to get some more fried rice. "I'll be fine, please don't get like everybody else." Sierra looks like she's calculating her answer carefully, and I brace myself. I never like when she gets like this because I never like what she's going to say. "For someone who played you though, he won't give your number a rest. How many ignored calls do you have from the guy?" Just to spite her, I steal a coconut dessert off her plate and pop it in my mouth before heading back out to the buffet.