Chapter 45: The Moon

For once I'm still awake of my own accord. I grab my small backpack in place of my purse, and stuff the rest of my Oreo stash, some microwave popcorn, some sodas, and then look around in my room for anything else. "I'm staying over with Sierra!" I call out to my dad, and he waves from the couch. "See you in the morning sometime," I tell my dad before closing the door and rushing to my car before he can even think about changing his mind. I really am going over to stay at Sierra's...until midnight. At that time, me and Justin have other plans.

I pull out the microwave popcorn and hand it over to Sierra, then pull out one of the sodas and give that to her as well. "Aren't you gonna change?" she asks me, and I lift my head up from my position on her bed and scrunch up my mouth. "Ooohhhh right, I forgot sorry." She says, and disappears into the kitchen.

Can't wait for this Moon thing

Ikr!!! I'm so excited! i'm with sierra now

you want me 2 pick u up later?

nope, I'm good!

I'm just tucking my phone back in my pocket when Sierra comes back into the room, a bowl of popcorn in one hand, and two plastic cups in the other. "What's the Moon again?" she takes a sip of her soda, and turns on the DVD player from the bed with her remote. "Just some dance club," I say nonchalantly, more interested in the dirt underneath my finger nail. I'm doing my best to contain my excitement. All I told Sierra was that we were going clubbing, and after convincing her no fake IDs would be needed, she still knew something else was up. But since her confession at Panda Buffet, she's been doing everything to appease me. I'm not mad though. Why does everyone think I'm mad at them? I think the real reason is she's happy Justin and I are still together. I get that funny prick, and fight the uneasiness off. Nothing is separating us, not if I can help it.

Uncle Dennis pokes his head out and gives us a wave. "Hello girls!" Sierra rolls her eyes but I give my uncle a big wave. "You know you're welcome to spend the night," he says from the door frame and I nod. "I know, but I just wanted to spend some time with the cuz before tomorrow. Pretty busy, so I have to head back home." I feel Sierra's eyes slide towards me and it's an effort not to crack a smile. My uncle purses his lips, and I know how he feels about me driving at night, but before he can protest, Sierra shoos him out. "Cuz?" Sierra's crossed arms against her long frame make her look more imposing than she really is. At least right now. "Thank you cuz..." I say in a baby-like voice. She throws a pillow at me, but I block the attack with my arms crossed over my head. As far as my dad knows, I'm here for the night, as far as Uncle Dennis knows, I'm leaving at a while. Yes there's plenty of room for error, Sierra owes me, and with her help I pray I don't get caught.

Sierra's asleep long before I have to go, and when I do, I turn off her TV and close the room door after me before heading outside to my car. It's dark outside, and the bullfrogs are out and talking among themselves. I slap the mosquitoes away and call Justin to let him know I'm on my way. The Moon is a dance club for eighteen years and older people, and I missed out on the night after prom was over, when I got food poisoning and couldn't hold anything down. I'm not much of a dancer, but I was curious to see it and Justin has been there before. I've heard mixed opinions about The Moon, and I'm not sure if he even likes it or not. He wouldn't answer my question straight.

"And how long are we staying here?" I have to yell above the music in order to be heard. It's smoky, with strobe lights flashing rapidly, and bodies grinding and bumping all around us. The first thing I want to do after flashing my ID (the bouncer studies it hard!) is turn around and go back. Even standing around looking at everyone else makes me feel out of place. I think I've lost Justin, but when I quickly turn around, there he is, trying to get away from some random chick trying to flirt with him. I laugh, and he comes up to me and pulls me in. "Wanna dance?" he asks me and I shake my head pronto. "I don't dance," I say, but it's a lost cause. I'm impressed with Justin's moves, he looks like a natural, and I don't want to embarrass him with my two left feet.

My pleas fall on death ears though because soon enough he and I are dancing hard to the music. I'm sure there's other people around us watching, but it just feels like me and him are the only ones in the room. Eventually I convince Justin to step outside with me so we can both get some fresh air. "I'm starving," he says suddenly, and I pull him to my car. "Lyric, I didn't say I wanna leave," and he stops a few feet away. "Just wait there then!" I call back, and reach for our favorite snack. "Seriously," he laughs, when I come back with the Oreos. But he finishes a sleeve within minutes. "I can't believe your dad was okay with this," he says, as we walk by the entrance but don't go back in.

"Pshh, what makes you think that?"

"Alright then, how'd you sneak away?"

I pull him close to me, so close our noses just about touch. "Well I'm here now, so that's really all that matters." Our little moment is promptly ruined but loud groaning coming from the bushes, accompanied by other suggestive noises. It's pretty close to the sound of a dying animal.We're both so startled we burst out laughing. "Let's go back inside before it attacks us."