Chapter 10: Summer Daze

My dad takes a moment to think, and I carefully avoid my brother's gaze. I don't want him to throw me off in any way. "So you're friends are headed to Destin on Thursday? Hmm, how many people are we talking?" I gulp and think fast. How many people would be there? Would my dad be more excepting with a big number or a smaller one? "It's a big group, so twenty if everyone comes. But I know everyone will come," I rush to add, and glare at Danté as he clears his throat loudly to hide his snickering. Neither of us can lie to dad without the other knowing, the only difference is Danté doesn't try. Directly that is. My dad reaches for another slice of pizza and I try to hold down the one I scarfed and wait in anticipation. "Well, you're headed to college soon, and you're old enough to know what to do and what not to do, so okay." I squeal with excitement at my luck, and stick my tongue out at Danté before thanking my dad. "You seem real excited to go to Destin. Especially for someone who isn't a fan of the beach." My dad seems to consider this, and before he can consider changing his mind I say, "Maybe, but it's summer and it's hotter than usual. I don't want to spend money on the pool, and there's other things to do in Destin besides go to the beach."

My dad nods his head and I know I've won the round. "That's true," he says, but Danté shakes his head. Couldn't he be a jackass some other time? I don't even finish my pizza, I'm too excited to eat any more, and after I clean up and close my pizza box, I go back into my room and slam my butt in my chair. The impact makes it roll to my closet and I get up and do a happy dance. My first instinct is to snatch up my phone and tell Justin I'm coming for sure, but for some reason it seems hasty and I fight the urge. Instead, I begin packing a bag for the approaching day. I easily locate my sunscreen, beach towel, and sunglasses. I look at my two bathing suits. One, a navy floral one piece I've had for a couple years, and the other, a fire engine red bikini with a halter top that my aunt bought for me so I could start "dressing my age". I don't have the confidence to pull off wearing two separate pieces of clothing that don't fully cover my body, and reach for the one piece. I stop when I feel the material and realize it's thinner than I remember. I close my room door and put it on in front of my mirror. It's see-through! I try to remember the last time I wore it, peeling it off and chucking it in the trash.

I sigh and throw the stupid bikini in the bag, and find a white t-shirt and some shorts. I switch the case on my phone to a sturdier one, knowing that with water involved, it might not end well. I hear a knock on my door, and thinking it's my dad I yell, "Come in!" When I look up from my closet I see that's actually Danté and tell him to get lost. "Where are you actually going Lyric?" I glare at him and find something to chuck at him. "Destin. Like I told Dad." He smirks, and almost dodges my stuffed Winnie the Pooh bear. "Okay fine, what are you going to do in 'Destin'?" He puts up air quotes, and I suck my teeth. I know he wouldn't snitch on me, or purposefully put much effort in getting me in trouble, but it still bothers me. "None of your business, now get out my room before I kick you out!" We both know it's an empty threat, with Danté being on the wrestling team, but that doesn't stop my anger from flaring or Danté from slipping out of the room. I close and lock the door as soon as he leaves.

I resume my packing, and put a movie on my laptop to watch while I walk around my room wondering if I forgot anything. I knock down the stuff off my dresser once again, and pick them up. This time I notice the book I had gotten as one of my birthday gifts from my younger cousin Sierra, even though she reads enough for the both of us. She could be my mother's child; she shares the same features and dark skin as her aunt, it's so weird. Danté and I used to go through the family photo albums whenever we went to my grandma's house, and we'd think baby Sierra was my mother. The Selection looks back at me; I put it back on my dresser. She was positive I'd love it, and had even offered to buy me the other books in the series. My less than pleased expression must have been enough to make her wary, because in the box I discovered a receipt and a note from her saying it wouldn't hurt her feelings if I returned the book. Sierra was sweet, and we both shared nerdy sides (mine just wasn't book oriented) so I had purposely kept the book past the date it could still be returned. The cover was pretty too, so it hadn't been hard to decide to hold on to it. Plus from reading the back I discovered it involved royalty and princesses-to-be, both good things in my book.

I toss it in my bag, figuring I can read it or at the least pretend to do so if things get awkward and my phone dies or something. I get back on my phone and go to Instagram, refreshing my feed. I tap on the explore page tab and refresh that too. Somehow I come across Justin's page. Of course I click the follow button and I'm pleased that his account is public. I spend the rest of the night going through his pictures and wondering who all the pretty girls are that seem to be in nearly every picture or video.