Chapter 53: BTS Deals and Steals

I'm just out for the things that can't be bought online, or that I didn't get with Sierra, but Cat and Mariana are making such a big deal out of it, I really do feel like the youngest sister of us three. I was secretly hoping that Justin and I could school shopping together, but it was clearly two against one. "You spend more than enough with Justin, don't you get sick of each other?" Mariana asked me, and kept my arms crossed and my mouth closed. "Omg, cheer up girlie, you're just spending some time with us. You won't regret it."

With my list in my purse, and phone in my hand, it actually isn't long before I realize how much I miss hanging out with them outside of work. I have a budget to stick to, and I plan to buy school supplies and dorm room stuff before delving into the clothes. Sierra suggested I come up with a theme, but I was only going to live there a year and plus the idea of having a themed dorm strikes me as team too much. I don't even have a favorite color! We pull into the Old Navy parking lot, and I look around very confused. "Guys, what happened to Staples? And Target? Heck Walmart?" Yay Walmart! I could be a brand spokesperson for them at this point. Cat and Mariana walk as if I didn't say a word. Then when I go to repeat myself, Mariana cuts me off, putting her around my shoulder, her heels making her taller than me. "Just think of this a makeover on us," Cat nods, then gives me a sheepish look when we get closer to the entrance. "Well, you can't beat a good sale..."

I wish I could say I found nothing in Old Navy and prove my point, but that wasn't the case. Thinking about the weather down south made me wonder about my existing wardrobe. Plus, Orientation was no joke, and UCF is an open campus. Lots of opportunities to pass out from heat stroke in Orlando. I crack myself up, and start leaning towards the shorts and tanks. When I remember that I can't go crazy,  and that if I don't buy anything there will be consequences. I can't win either way. While Cat and Mariana appeared to have bought the store, I stand in front of them with a lone pair of shorts. "This whole store and that's all you could find?" Mariana asks me when I'm handed my bag after paying. Cat just shakes her head, and I add to the mix by rolling my eyes. "Next stop, we helping you out," Mariana tells me, and I let out an audible groan.

Of course we're still clothes shopping first, and Mariana drives us to Target. I try to sneak away to where I can start looking for the filler paper and pencils and pens, but Cat and Mariana steer me straight to the clothes section. "It's pretty hot down there sooo..." Cat is lost in thought, going through clothes racks, while Mariana is pulls a skirt or shirt, or pair of jeggings from the stacks, asking me do I like this? No. Do I like that? No... What about this. No. Well, maybe. "Here, go try these on," Mariana thrusts an outfit she's put together, complete with a pair of heels, and spins me in the direction of the fitting rooms. "Dear God you guys are persistent!" I yell through the closed door, and with a huff, I start snaking off my clothes and throwing them to the side. It's a formal black and white outfit Mariana has picked for me. I put on a white, long sleeved, button down blouse with a scoop neck, and tuck it into a black skirt which hugs my legs as it stops down just below my knees. I don't even bother putting on the shoes; Mariana is already banging on the door calling for me to come out. When I do, she claps her hands together, and pulls Cat towards us. "She's getting that, you're getting that," my two friends overlap each other.

I laugh. They look so happy and pleased, and I don't look hideous, so I let them talk me into making it one of my purchases. We look around some more, and I end up adding clothing basics and toiletries to the cart before finally able to shop for non-clothing related things. I find myself in the home improvement section of the store contemplating container sizes, when Cat finds me. "There you are. Any look finding a color you like?" I slowly turn my blank face to her.

"Huh?"

"I can help. What's your dorm theme?"

"Good grief, can't my dorm be free to be a, mmm I don't know, regular space?"

It's like talking to a brick wall. I let Cat come up with a color scheme and design in her head to her heart's desire. I guess I can take solace in that fact that my 'regular space' won't look basic. Mariana both decide on the color yellow, with gray and white accents. Honestly, I think I've signed a contract to be on a design show. "Hey, download this app," Cat instructs me, and together the three of us search for towels and washcloths, comforter sets, a lamp, a laundry basket, and more in either yellow or gray. "Not that shade," Mariana keeps saying, and instead of getting mad, I giggle. I text Justin as Cat takes over my cart, because calling him is out of the question. I already have to pretend I'm looking things up so neither Mariana or Cat get suspicious, but I really have nothing to worry about. "This is what me and my roommate did last year," Mariana passes over her phone, and I start scrolling through pictures. I like the dark floral pattern more than I care to admit, and keep to nodding my head and uttering the word, "Cool," every couple of scrolls. I don't want to give either one of the girls more ideas.

I look over at the mound that has sprouted out from my cart and my eyes slide over to the two planners. I hope they plan to split the costs.