Chapter 27: Road Trip

Waking up early in the morning has never been my specialty. Waking up at the crack of dawn, or close to it? Nope. Still not expert. My dad flips on the light switch, and instantly cover my head with my pillow to block out the brightness. "Up up up Lryic!" How can that man be so peppy in the morning? Slowly. I climb out of bed and find a pair of jeans to where. I don't bother with my pajama top, grabbing my luggage bag and heading out to the living room. I pull out my phone and take a look at the time. 4:14 a.m. I groan and lean sideways into the couch cushions, only to be awaken a few moment later by my dad taking my stuff out to the rental car outside. Whenever we travel, my dad doesn't trust our own cars and goes out the day before to bring our temporary ride home. I don't know what he got this time, and frankly I don't care. I feel a sharp slap on my leg and moan, my dad opening and closing, zipping, and moving, and so on, all around me. "Head out to the car, we should be gone at 4:40." I huff, and lift my tired head up an inch. It's too early in the morning for food, and coffee is past pushing it. "Dad, I don't want McDonalds," I whine, and he slaps my leg again when he passes by the couch again. I get the message loud and clear, and walk out the door, phone and Piglet pillow in my hands.

The rest of my stuff is in the trunk, and I open the passenger side door, taking a look at my phone. My eyes squint in the light of the screen, and I see Justin texted me.

morning love song :D

shut up, it's too early

If I wasn't moody before, I am now.

i woke up just for u, and u tell me to shut up

whatever

your gonna feel bad later

I scoff and lock my phone, not in the mood but knowing he's right. I peer out the window and watch as my dad locks the front door, and I envy Danté. What I wouldn't give to still be in my bed instead of heading to Orlando a freakin' day early. Sierra's grandparent's on her dad's side are good friends of my dad, so we're staying with them instead of booking a hotel for while I'm at orientation. I should say while we're in orientation. My dad was insistent on taking the parent tour, and I was equally insistent that he do anything but that. My dad pulls into the Drive Thu for Burger King and I give him a look, my eyes narrowed from fatigue and exasperation. This is not what I had in mind either. "Dad," the word comes out like an angry sigh, more sigh than anger. My dad pretends not to notice, ordering out usual travel out of town meal. A hot coffee for him, orange juice for me, and two chicken biscuits. I wrinkle my nose, when the food comes into the car, and turn to the other side to let my window down. At any other time in the day, I'd be happy for the smell of fried potatoes.

"It's gonna get cold," my dad says as we drive off. I snort and don't say anything. I know I'll be hungry when eight o'clock hits, so I'll deal with the consequences of soggy food later, like I usually do. If Danté we're here, he'd inhale his breakfast before drifting off back to sleep.

As I settle back to sleep myself, I figure it could be worse. My dad could be making me drive, and he'd be the one sleep. Probably not, now that I'm thinking. He'd be wide awake, making me nervous, telling me to

1. Watch that road!

2. Watch that car!!

3. Watch that speed limit!!!

I guess I'll take what I can get. I wake up to my dad's lightly tapping my shoulder, and I know we're at the halfway point when I see the Pilot gas station. My dad fills up the tank before going inside for the bathroom. While's he's gone, I pull out my phone to FaceTime Justin, taking a sip of my now lukewarm orange juice. When five minutes goes by, I know my dad is distracted by something or another, and turn my attention back to Justin, who I've awoken. "Ehh, we're about hours away," I say when he asked how long until we reach Orlando. I pan my phone around so he can see my surroundings, and laugh when I see him slumped on his hand. I can't help but stare at his bare chest, thankful that my dad is still outside. Justin is propped up on his arm, and from the desk and the Andy Grammar poster in the back, I know he's in his room.

"Wake up!" I stage whisper and watch as one of his eyelids cracks open. "I am," he whispers back, rubbing his face, and I giggle. Unlike Justin, the last thing I want to do is hold a conversation let alone see someone one when I'm trying to sleep. The door opens and I see my dad stride out. Turing to Justin, I buckle my seat belt. "Dad's coming. I'll let you know when we get there." I laugh as Justin falls completely over, with his face in the covers and thumb jutted up. "Bye," I end the call, and wave to my dad as he opens the car door and gets in. "Ahh, I see you is awake," my dad does this weird bobbing thing with his head as he closes the door and cranks the car on. "Please stop," I roll my eyes and turn back to the window so I don't have to witness whatever other weird thing he decides to do next.

A couple minutes in us leaving the gas station I suddenly have the urgeto pee. Badly. I glare at my empty juice cup and cross my legs tight. It's going to be a long two hours.