Chapter 43: In My Heart

I can't help being thankful that Justin's dad isn't here. I could be imagining things, but then again I could be completely justified. Just where Justin and I had been making out maybe a couple of hours ago, are marshmallows, Hershey's bars and Reese's, and honey and chocolate graham crackers. I've never made a s'more pie, and when it comes to baking I'm a follow-the-directions kind of girl, even if I've made something many times before. This is my first time watching Olivia and Justin together, as well as Justin in the kitchen, and both impress me greatly. Instead of helping out like I planned too, I just watch from the bar stool, talking to Olivia, falling in love with her all over again.

"They always have sales, I'll have to take you with me sometime," Olivia tells me when I ask about her necklace and dress. "I know the manager over at Old Navy, that's how I got Justin's..." I see his freaked look from across the room and Olivia laugh and not say whatever she was going to say. "Your what?" I tease, and the marshmallow that he was walking over to give me somehow ends up in his mouth. "Fine, I can always guess!" My full attention is on Olivia, but I take peeks at Justin popping the skillet with the pie into the oven, then cleaning up the stove with a wet dishcloth. "I didn't know you were such a chef, and good in the kitchen," I say slyly, Olivia and I both grinning, but Olivia embarrasses her step-son once again. "Oh, he's just showing off for you. Between him and Scott, I can never get a hand around here." Justin sticks his tongue out at me, before disappearing into his room.

The house smells all chocolatey, and Oliva begins to dote on my 'nature beauty'. The next thing I know, I'm her make up dummy. I'm convinced that Olivia could say let's go eat raw octopus and I'd be right there. I look at all the make-up products around me, and notice that I'm a few shades darker than Olivia might be expecting. "I went to cosmetology school," she says, carefully removing my glasses and applying a layer of primer on my eyelids. The only reason I know it because the small tube says 'primer'. "Really?" I ask more so in admiration than actual surprise. She was a makeup assistant for a long time, at a bridal shop in Miami. "I have a friend from Miami," I put in, trying not to blink as my eyes water from having something so close to them. "The money for one thing...and it's more of a hobby," Olivia explains when I ask her why she never went for a career. "You seem like you enjoy it though," I say, watching Oliva's cheeks flush. "I think I enjoy it more like this. Less pressure, more fun." I think I understand.

And I'm no closer to knowing what I want to do. I have plenty of hobbies, but none I could see myself doing for a job. The oven beeps, and a few moments later Justin comes back into the kitchen. "Don't look at me, you're gonna let the pie burn," I watch Justin stay planted right at the doorway, gawking at me. "Here, take a look," Olivia hands me over a hand mirror and I nearly drop it when I see my reflection. And people say I look like a completely different person without my glasses. My eyelids are a glittery bronze with a jewel blue eyeliner that extends past my eyes on each side. I don't know what's on my lips, but it makes them look pinker and shiny, yet still looks natural.

I let out a low whistle. "Wow," is all I can manage, and Justin I see a hint of a smile on Justin's face, replacing the awe struck one he just had. "Well, what do you think?" Olivia asks me, and I look from her to the mirror, and back. I don't hate it. My face is all dolled up, and I know I don't look bad, but I also feel like all eyes would be on me if I went out like this. "I like it," Justin says, still not anywhere close to taking out the dessert. "Justin. The pie. Please." I give Olivia back her mirror, and go over to help him. He can't stop looking at me. "Don't get used to it now," I warn him, and eye the s'more. "Well that's why they invented cameras," I hear a snap and the flash of his phone momentarily blinds me.

"Hey!"

"This is going on Instagram!"

"Wow, you're posting something," I say in mock surprise. Then I try to peer over his shoulder to see the picture. I'm not the most photogenic person in the world, and I have more bad sides than I can count. Sure enough, the picture isn't exactly flattering. "Don't post that," I look around to make sure Olivia isn't in the room still, "Crap. I look like crap," I finish. "No you don't," Justin scoffs as I wrangle with him to stop him from posting the photo. He lifts his arm up and it's useless. I stretch anyway.

"Justin! Stop!"

"Done!" I pull out my phone to see it for myself, all the while plotting how and when to steal his phone and delete the picture. It's been a while since I've even been on the app, and I scroll until a video post of our bike ride stops me. "You recorded me singing! Are you trying to make me look..." the laughter falls away when I read Justin's bio. USF bound/Living life/ Fell hard for @lyrical_me 😍 🙈.

"See look at all those likes," Justin points his finger to the bottom of my dolled up photo, and after only a couple minutes,it's quite a few likes. And some comments. "Ehh," I say, placing my phone in my pocket, but of course my cheeks flame. "It's a'ight," I concede, and yelp when Justin pokes my sides.