Chapter 11: Yellow Energy

I'd set the alarm on my phone the night before, and my anticipation for the day had managed to keep me awake just shy of three hours before I had to get up. I drag myself out the bed as soon as it goes off, and start to get dressed, feeling my way through the darkness. I slip my bikini on followed by my shirt and shorts, and then feel around with my feet for my flip flops. I somehow manage to bump into my dresser and bruise my elbow. I can hear the chorus of snores coming from my brother and dad in the other rooms, and I move quickly but quietly. Once I'm sure I have everything in my bag or on my person, I head into the kitchen and cross over to the front door to head outside. 

            I put Justin's address in my phone and wait for the directions to load on the screen. The night is peaceful, with the exception of the croaking frogs I hear in the background, and for a moment I forget where I am. My screen glows bright in my face and I look down to see that the directions have loaded and it's on me to follow them. With a crank of the keys, the car comes to life, and I drive carefully out of the driveway and down the road. My approximate destination time according to the directions is twenty-five minutes, but once I figure out where I'm headed, I realize I can take a shortcut and get to Justin's house much quicker. Sure enough, I cut the time down in half, and when the numbers on the mailbox match the ones on my phone, I pull into the yard, behind three other cars parked outside. I turn the car off and reach over the seat to grab my bag before opening the door and getting out. The moment my feet hit the pavement my nerves get the best of me, and I start to freak out. I hear voices from behind the car, and I know my time to myself is short. But still...what the hell was I thinking? I don't know these people. A voice in the back of head answers, "Did you know your friends?" I'm taken aback by this intrusive thought and don't move until Justin comes up, using his phone as a flashlight.

            "Lyric! Hey, you came!" The shadows on his face from the street lamps move and I can tell he's smiling. I grin back, and will my legs to move it. "We're just waiting on a couple other people to show up."  I walk to him and he leads me to a group of other people. "Thanks for inviting me," I hear myself say, and see my hand move up and down at the group of- lord- guys, and one girl. I'm always reminded of how the opposite sex makes me feel jumpy and nervous, even if they're ugly, which none of these guys happen to be. Attractive people seem to always attract other attractive people, figures. "Nicky, Robert, Christina, Josh, Travis, Ant, and Lewis, this is Lyric. Lyric, everybody." Two of the guys look from me and back to Justin nodding their head, as if giving their approval. Approval for what? Christina gives me a feeble smile but it looks fake, and I get the feeling  she doesn't like me, making me question what I've done wrong in the past couple of seconds. Everyone resumes their conversation, and I try not to look at her the same time she glances over at me. Just when I think I'll be standing to the side observing like this the entire trip, Justin makes his way back to me. "We waiting for Amanda?" Lewis asks. Or maybe Nicky. Justin looks down at the time on his phone, and sighs.

            "Maybe like five more minutes." Two minutes later, everyone is pilling into cars and I'm glad Christina and I aren't put together. Instead, I ride with three of the guys I was introduced to, plus Justin who climbs in the driver's seat. I watch him engage in a heated but fast staring contest with the sandy haired guy on my right before Justin rolls his eyes. He turns on the car, and the guy next to smirks before turning to me. Before he can say anything, Justin turns on the radio and a Ciara song plays. "I love this song!" I blurt out and sing along with her before I realize I have an audience. I let my embarrassment sink and pool at the bottom of my stomach. Instead of smirking like I thought he would, the guy laughs and sings the next line. "Ant, shut up, we're used to your God-awful noise making, but you're gonna scare Lyric." I laugh, thankful that even though it's starting to get lighter outside, no one can clearly see me. "It's fine, I'm pretty sure my voice is worse. My brother says I sound exactly like someone's murder." Ant laughs back, and I feel more comfortable in the car with the other guys.

            We basically spend the next two hours talking to each other, Justin occasionally saying something or telling me about something. As cool as Ant is, I really wish that he and Justin had traded places. I catch Justin's eye every time, and his smile makes me think of the sun. Yellow energy. And of course I sound corny in my own head. I grimace, and Ant tilts his head. "What's wrong, Sweetheart?" I realize he's referring to me, and I quickly rearrange my face. That isn't hard because we pull into the McDonald's drive through. "Nothing, I'm just hungry," I say, which isn't really a lie. The heat attacks me as soon as Ant opens the door for me and I grab my backpack and search for any coupons I can use. He holds the door open for me again, and when I thank him, I realize it's Justin this time. He does a low bow and ushers me in. It's still pretty early, so the breakfast menu is out. I scan the items and then order two hash browns, a large orange juice, and French toast. Everyone sits down at a table, and I realize that our group has grown to include one more person; the girl who I suspect is Amanda. She sits right next to Justin, and begins talking his ear off. I still avoid Christina's eyes as I talk to Ant some more. Now our conversation has moved to movies. Who knew he liked Pixar as much as I do!

            "Sometimes I like going to the movies by myself." Ant stares and then shakes his head in disbelief. "Why the hell would you do that?" I shrug, and suddenly feel uncomfortable. "Eh, well it's kinda nice just to be the only one. And then sometimes I'm the only one who wants to see the movie," I explain. Ant watches me as I dip a French toast stick in the syrup. "I wouldn't let you go alone. Just saying," he says, and it occurs to me that there's probably a double meaning in that. "Kay, we headed to the beach or what?" Justin says, and walks over to me and Ant, with Amanda right behind him. Does that girl understand not personal space either? "Sure," I say, and stand up with my bag full of trash. "Let's go."