4

Picture of Ivory

"What took you so damn long," he snarled from the same seat he was sitting in when I left.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "It was far away sir."

He huffed and turned back to his iDesk. I sat the cup down on the pad in the corner of the desk and didn't wait for a response as I walked away. However, when I got to the door he called out for me to wait.

"Yes sir," I asked tensely, spinning back around to face him.

"This coffee is cold."

"Like I said sir, it was far away."

He stood up from his chair showing off his intimidating height. "Then run," he suggested, fixing his coat so it fit snug on his body.

"You want me to run down the streets of New York to give you coffee," I asked incredulously.

"Yes," he nodded his head, "that's exactly what I want you to do, unless you are unfit for it." His eyes traveled over my body, taking in every curve, every shape, and making me beyond uncomfortable and mad. I was anything but unfit. I worked out every day, I could run for an hour and not get tired, and I could throw a punch better than most men I've met.

It's taken three years for me to get where I am today, not to look good but to survive. Leo Stavros knows nothing about that. He's one of the richest men on earth, he has his own security team whereas girls like me get abducted off the streets every day and raped or killed or both. I need to fight for my life where Leo just has to buy it.

I grounded my teeth together and forced myself to walk out the door. If I opened my mouth than I knew nothing pretty would come out of it.

Leo doesn't bother calling after me and I'm grateful. Once at my desk I rest my head in my hands and count to ten, forwards and backwards three times. Eventually the small exercise actually works and I'm calm again, breathing in nothing but good air.

There's a holographic picture on my desk, one of my brother and I. I'm fourteen on my first day of high school and Isaiah is on his first day of senior year. He has his arm wrapped around me and we're both smiling at the camera that Isaiah was holding up. As I look at the picture I remember how he tickled my sides to make me laugh and even after taking the picture he never stopped tickling me. I smile as I relive the memory of walking into school together side by side and how Isaiah instantly bellowed out to the whole school, "This is my sister. Don't effing touch her."

And no one did. Everyone was either too scared or too smart to go up against my brother. I stuck with only the people who Isaiah approved of and who were brave enough to talk to me. High school was a great four years of my life but the best followed right after, until my whole world came crashing down.

A finger tapping on my desk snaps me out of my thoughts.

I look up to see Leo standing there, his face completely expressionless. "Do you ever work," he asked.

"I zoned out, I'm sorry."

"We have a meeting we need to get to."

"Oh," I shot up from my seat, grabbing my tablet off my desk. "When does it start? I wasn't looking at the time, I apologize."

"Ten minutes ago," he said before walking towards the conference room.

"Ten minutes," I squeaked, running to catch up to him. "We're so late," I said worriedly. Never have I been late to a meeting before, not with Mr. Stavros.

"It doesn't matter."

"Doesn't matter," I chocked. "Of course it matters. You can't ever be late to meetings."