14

It was nine at night after I had settled in bed with a book and shared the plans with Talia and Leo over dinner that a knock sounded at my door. Figuring that if it was Talia there would be her mouth speaking a mild a minute through the door I knew it was Leo.

I groaned, hating his horrible timing and whipped the blankets off my bed.

"I'm coming," I hollered, wrapping a jacket around my tank top. Talia kept her hotel warm even during the winter and I was very grateful but I didn't want my boss to see me in a tank top with no bra.

I slid open the lock and swung open the door, breathing a sigh of relief when I saw Leo leaning against the far wall. Even though I'm in a different state than Adrik I can't help the little part of me that is still afraid he'll pop out of a corner somewhere.

"Can I help you," I asked Leo who looked at me with a straight face, like he always does.

"Do you want to get out of here," he asked, raising his hand with a set of keys dangling from it.

"You didn't steal the mayors car did you," I shrieked.

"No of course not, she's letting me borrow it. Now are you coming or not."

"Depends on where we're going. I'm not going to end up at the bottom of a lake am I?"

"Depends on how well you can drive."

"Drive? You mean you're going to let me drive a car? Alone? By myself? Like they used to do before the revolution?"

His eyes narrowed in skepticsm. "You do know how to drive don't you?"

"Of course I do," I exclaimed with a new found giddiness in my heart. I snatched the keys from Leo's hand and skipped down the hall, giggling all the way.

...

"Do you even know how to drive this thing," Leo asked, his voice shaky with dare I say fear.

"Normally I would lie and say yes," I answered, taking a sharp turn on the barren long strip of road. "But considering the fact that I almost ran us into that pole back there I'm going to assume you know the answer."

"I think it would be a good idea to stop the car than."

A few seconds passed before I finally chose to speak up.

"And how do I do that exactly?"

Leo groaned, running his hand down his face. "This was a horrible idea."

"Why did you do this anyways?"

"I knew you were upset about this deal, ruining nature and everything, so I thought this would cheer you up."

I turned to look sideways at him. "That's really sweet-"

"Eyes on the road," he yelled, clutching to the overhead handle of the truck like a maniac.

I rolled my eyes and did as he said, also figuring out how to stop the car. Apparently all you have to do is take your foot off the pedal. Who would've thought.

"Well that was easy," I said once the car rolled to a stop on its own.

"Um Ivory," Leo whispered.

"Yes?"

"Where did the road go?"

Confused I twisted around in my seat seeing it behind us about a hundred yards. "It's all the way over there. How did that happen?"

"Oh god," Leo groaned. "I'm driving back alright?"

"I thought I did a pretty good job," I argued.