17

Later that day after Leo and I got some much needed rest and showers, we headed out to the middle of nowhere to look at what would soon become a small metropolitan city. The only thing standing in the vast empty field was a single barn, coated with red paint from decades ago, fading as time passed. In the helicopter we were in I could really take in the beauty of the area. There was a small river that flowed in through the mountains and was flanked on both sides by an army of trees. There were areas where nothing but weeds were growing and dried dirt covered the land but other than that there was a pretty decent sized area of luscious green grass.

I really hoped that Leo tried his best to keep it as beautiful as he could but then I figured I would end up having to take that task on by myself. I was a little surprised to see that Leo was actually entranced in the land below as we flew over us, his bright blue eyes wandering all over the place.

I don't know why I noticed but I did; he pulled his bottom lip between his teeth and has his eye brows furrowed the entire time we up in the air. It looked like he was looking at a complicated math equation that he didn't know how to begin.

After spending hours flying and walking around the area we were flown back to the closest airport and then took the Stavros private jet back to New York after Leo insisted we head straight home. It was an odd demand since we were scheduled to stay for a couple more days, but I wasn't about to question Leo at the moment. Even if his sudden plans might put us in the path of Adrik sooner than I would like.

I sat across from Leo on the flight home, trying to sleep as we flew through the night sky. The whole day had taken a toll on me and all I wanted to do was succumb to sleep. However Leo didn't think the same. Instead he sat bent over the table between us scribbling furiously on papers skewed all over it, his hair falling over his forehead so I couldn't see his eyes as he worked on who knows what. I didn't want to interrupt in whatever he was obviously so invested in (of which I also didn't care to figure out what exactly was) so instead I curled up next to the window and closed my eyes.

When the jet touched down in a not so sleeping New York City I woke up as the turbulence tasseled me around. Grudgingly I sat up straight, stretching the kinks out of my back and discovered that sometime during the flight Leo had placed his jacket over me. I looked over at him to see he was sleeping up straight in his chair, his head fallen back with his mouth gaping open and snores falling from his mouth. Since his suit jacket was around my body the whole night he was wearing a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. It was a pretty light blue that made his eyes pop.

Just as I was admiring the view of his muscled forearms and appreciable appearance he let out a snore so loud it shook him awake.

I stifled a giggle as he jolted forward, his eyes wide in panic.

"Well hello there sleeping beauty," I teased.

He looked at me, frowned, and curled up like a little kid on the chair closing his eyes peacefully.

"Somebody obviously doesn't like to be woken up."

He grunted.

"Well it doesn't look like you have much of a choice Leo," I said, unbuckling my seatbelt as the light dined off. "We're back in New York."

He grunted again.

"Leo I'm not carrying your big ass home," I growled.

...

I ended up carrying his big ass home.

Not literally, although that would have been funny to see. But I did have to carrel him into a car, drive with him to his house, force him inside and figure out which room he was sleeping in the giant mansion as he only mumbled incoherent directions at me.