5

That night, as expected Leo Stavros left work at exactly five o'clock, leaving behind a mess he didn't bother cleaning up. Since we were going to build a city in Wyoming we needed to get it started right away but I don't see how that could be possible when Leo would give me so little of his time.

He left for an hour and half lunch break not even considering the fact that he had an important business call to make during that time. Instead I had to make the call and struggle to understand the strong accent of an Norwegian diplomat.

I finally left work at six and said goodbye to the janitor on the way out. My feet were killing me from having to run around all day and they seemed to throb in pain when I realized that I had to push them into heels I didn't own.

On the way home I stopped by a department store and purchased the first pair of heels I saw. It was going to be dark soon and knowing what happens then, even in a semi nice neighborhood in New York I needed to rush home and lock myself inside.

When I opened my front door I was instantly bombarded by my Tibetan Mastiff, Caesar. He was a little too big to be living in an apartment, but he was fiercely protective of me. He trusted me and only me, he didn't let anyone inside the home and he wasn't afraid to bite someone on command. I might have kept a hand gun in purse at all times and a rifle besides my bed, but having a dog like Caesar was an extra precaution, also he was adorable.

"Hi boo," I cooed, kneeling down to give him kisses. "Do you need to go out?" He wagged his tail and barked his monstrous bark. I laughed and dropped my shopping bag and purse and grabbed the leash off the hanger by the door.

I took Caesar out to the small patch of grass in front of the apartment and waited impatiently as he sniffed around for the perfect spot. The sun had just set meaning the criminals were coming out. I was the only person outside besides a few other people literately running to get to their homes. Already I heard sirens from a few blocks over.

"Come on boy," I said, tugging on his leash to try to get him to hurry up. He did as I told him to finding himself a perfect spot right on the edge of the sidewalk. "Seriously?"

He looked up at me like he didn't know what I was talking about because well he didn't, but I knew that he really did. For a dog he had a huge personality and he was very smart, which means he liked giving  me dopey looks and stink eyes when he seemed appropriate.

"Cute dog you got there," a voice said from behind me.

I turned around to see a young man with a baseball hat covering his eyes a few yards away. From the way his jacket fell over his body let me know that he was actually very slim under those clothes and his hallowed cheeks only proved my thoughts of him being a drug addict ready to rob me for my money.

"Be careful, he's dangerous."

"Is he now," he man smiled, showing off missing teeth. He approached Caesar, but I only rolled my eyes. I told him he was dangerous and he didn't listen.

As soon as the man reached out to pet him, Caesar smelled the foul stink coming from him. Caesar knew well enough that anyone who smelled that bad was dangerous.

Before I could tell him no, not that I was going to, Caesar growled roughly before jumping on the man, pinning him to the ground.

"I told you," I said as the man squirmed wildly on the ground, begging me to pull him off. "Caesar come on."  One gentle tug from him made him jump off the man and pounces up the steps with me since he knew he was going to get a treat when we got home.

I would've let Caesar bite the man if I knew he didn't have some type of disease in him. Maybe the man wasn't actually going to rob me and actually wanted to pet my dog, but I've seen enough things in this life to know that I can't trust anybody.