6

"This one is worse than the one before," Ryan complained as I threw the tie down on the counter with a new pair of shoes.

"Have you gotten your eyes checked recently? I think you're blind."

"I'm a man," he argued. "Can I blame my horrible fashion sense on that?"

"Yes," I said without hesitation. Ryan audibly gasped.

"The total will be fifty two dollars," the teenage girl announced in a bored tone.

"Oh no, we're not paying together." I grabbed the shoe box and put it behind the tie while Ryan complained.

"Come on Ivory. It's fine, let me pay for your shoes."

"Why would I do that? You're not going to borrow them are you?"

He looked down at the pair of black high heels, his face twisting into disgust before saying, "No. Why would I do that?"

"If you're not going to use them too than you aren't buying them," I declared with a glare which made him shut up right away. "Can you take off the shoes please," I asked the girl.

She rolled her eyes at me, but smiled sweetly at Ryan who was oblivious to her stares. According to every woman in the office, including myself, Ryan was hot. He had broad shoulders, noticeable muscles, and his eyes were the perfect size and shape.

My favorite body part on another person would be the eyes and I was a sucker for bright ones. That's what made me hate Leo even more. He had bright blue eyes, but I knew behind those eyes he didn't have a heart.

Or a soul.

After we each paid for our attire separately we set off to find a decent food stand on the way back to work. Ryan led me to a barbeque stand that he promised on his life was the best food I would ever put into my body.

"This better be worth the ten dollars I'm paid for it," I grumbled as we by passed tourists and other busy business men.

"It was only ten dollars because you asked for extra sauce and you got the sesame seed bun," Ryan pointed out, laughing and sliding to the left so he wouldn't get run over by a teenage boy skate boarding past.

I ignored him and instead asked, "How's Mary doing?"

I watched in delight as Ryan's whole face lit up with love. "Amazing! Our six year anniversary is in two days. Do you want to know what I have planned?"

"Depends. Is it appropriate for my ears?"

He scoffed. "I know you're not a virgin Ivory. Don't try hiding it. Besides I wasn't going to go into detail about that part."

I rolled my eyes. "Why don't you avoid that topic all together shall we? Now tell me the plan. The G rated plan that is."

"Well my Mom is going to watch JJ while I take Mary to go boating in the Hamptons."

"The Hamptons," I squeaked. "Can you afford that?"

"I've been saving up for a year now. It's really expensive to go there and for the boat rental and everything, but it's worth it. It's one of the things that on her bucket list."

"You two are adorable," I cooed, not able to wipe the smile off my face.

"What about you?" He nudged my arm with his shoulder, sending me a suggestive look.

"Do I have a six year anniversary coming up? Nope don't think so."

"Ivory," he whined. "You know what I mean."

"I don't know why you bother asking when it's the same every single time. I'm not seeing anyone Ryan."

"But that may change one day," he argued, throwing his empty sandwich wrapper in a nearby trash can. It amazed me how he could inhale his food like oxygen and still be able to rush through the streets. Then again he was born and raised in this city. It's only natural for him to be able to read the news paper, avoid conflict, cross the street at appropriate times, and hail a taxi all at the same time. I was born and raised in New Jersey where life moved pretty slow in our small town.