Chapter 1

I guess saying that I don't judge people would be a lie. Actually, everyone who says that lies. It is natural instinct to judge someone on their appearance when you first see them, even if you haven't spoken to them. Mostly, that's done through the subconscious, but it does happen. Whether you choose to ignore the assumption you've made is up to you.

Sometimes that can be unavoidable, though. If you see a man with a gun, you'll probably stay away, even though it may just be a toy. But how are we supposed to know? How do we trust that he isn't a danger? You can't until you've been given a good reason. Of course, a bunch of that is fueled through the media and society. They always tell you what you should and shouldn't consider dangerous. Sure, some of that is good information, but not always. So, if you can't trust what you see, you can't trust what you read, and you can't always trust your instincts, what are you left with?

I had to keep running. The icy wind hit my face, and my nose was beginning to run, but it wasn't the time to stop. I really wasn't used to the amount of exercise I was doing, but I just prayed my legs wouldn't give out. I could see it, though. I was almost there, and I let out a small sigh of relief, though it didn't sound much different from the gasps leaving my lips. Seeing my destination, I was given the motivation and sprinted the rest of the way.

"Wait! Don't close the doors!" I yelled. The once closing doors slowly opened again, and I made it up the few steps inside. I panted, bending over, barely noticing my ponytail hitting me.

The bus driver eyed me, "You were cutting it awful close."

I laughed a bit and said, "Yeah... I know. I.... I got a late start... t-today." I handed him the money for the ride and sat in one of the many empty seats in the middle of the bus, thankful for the break.

The bus jolted and rolled off from the bus stop to its next point. I looked around and frowned a bit. It was pretty empty for a Saturday morning. I guess it is a little early, I said to myself, looking at my watch to see it was only just past nine o'clock. That was the same reason I had to race to the bus. Usually, I slept in later, and my alarm didn't go off. I just happened to wake up by chance, but I still rushed to get ready. There wasn't going to be a bus for another half hour that was taking me where I needed to go, and I was cutting it close enough as it was. I had to work with everyone for two weeks, and I didn't want to make a bad impression before I even had a chance.

I tried not to fall asleep on the twenty-minute drive, but I found myself dozing off. When the bus lurched to a stop, I sprung awake and ran off, thanking the driver for not leaving me stranded before. Once again, the race was on, but I didn't have to go as far that time. It only took a few minutes before I saw a large truck with a bunch of people surrounding it. I knew I was where I was supposed to be.

When I reached the truck, I knew I was late by how all the volunteers were already serving out food. That was not how I wanted to start things, but it only meant I'd have to work harder. I saw a woman with a clipboard telling people what to do, and she looked like she was in charge, so I went up to her. I said quietly, "Uh, excuse me? Hi, I'm sorry, I'm a volunteer. Today's my first day, and I know I must be running late, so I was wondering where I'm supposed to get checked in?"