Chapter 10

"Do you think we got here soon enough?" I whispered to Jeff as we approached the house. He believed the next victim to be fourteen year-old Quinton Haley. He lived a few blocks away from where Shane Ellis had lived, so we knew that there would probably be more security around the area, which also meant it would be more difficult to get inside.

He pulled his bandana off and placed it in his pocket, saying, "I don't know. You can never be sure. We can't get here too early, or we might be seen, though. Or Liu won't come."

I tripped over a large rock lining the gravel pathway to the front door. Jeff grabbed my shoulders to help steady me and whispered, "And please don't get me caught."

I hissed back, "I can't see anything!" He shook his head at me, but we kept going.

We moved behind the bushes right in front of the house underneath a window. I tried to push away the branches and leaves scratching my face. I heard the ripping of the tape as he removed the bandage on his wound. "Take it."

"Why?" I asked, not wanting to touch it when I knew it probably had his blood on it.

"I don't want to drop it or anything while I'm in there. Keep it in your pocket, and don't lose it. If anything happens to me, you burn it along with your coat, and you get my DNA off you, okay? They might not have my fingerprints since they got burned off, but they probably have my DNA. Don't risk anything," he warned me. I hesitantly took the gauze out of his hand.

"Then, don't let anything happen," I replied as I put it in my coat pocket. I saw him nod in the darkness.

He began talking to himself, "All the lights are out, and there weren't any signs that said they had a home security system. I didn't get to see where the kid's room is, though. The door is obviously locked, and the windows probably are, too, but...." As he trailed off, he stood, staying out of the window's way. I watched as he gripped the window with one hand and tried pushing it up, but it wouldn't budge. He cursed under his breath. His head moved like he was looking around. "Is there a rock near you? Like, a pretty big one?"

I moved my hand around me and under the foliage. "No, but I tripped on one near the pathway," I recalled.

"I'll be right back. I don't want you to touch anything," Jeff told me and sneaked out of the bushes. A minute later, he was back. "Crawl over here." I did as told and was shocked when he pressed my face into his stomach. "Don't move. When I get in, you need to move away from here and hide somewhere else in the yard until I come back out. This is all dirt right here, so drag your feet until you get back into the grass. It'll make it a little harder to find out your shoe size." Then, there was the sound of glass being smashed right above me, and it rained down on my back, and I understood why he had been trying to protect me. No alarm went off, so he let me go and climbed in.

I obeyed what he said and left the window, careful not to touch anything or get cut by the glass shards. I hurried out of the bushes, never picking up my feet. As I stood waiting for him, I wondered if maybe he would finally find Liu, and what might happen after. What if Jeff lost in the fight that would surely happen? Did he ever stop to think about that? He never really told me just how he was going to stop Liu, anyway. He had to know that Liu was way too far gone to stop just after a bit of reasoning. And what would finally happen to me? Or him? Would he go to prison for all the murders he actually did commit? Would I join him because I was considered an accomplice?

All thoughts ceased when I heard a man scream from inside. Right after, Jeff ran out of the house through the front door, and he shouted, "Run! Go back!" I wanted to stay to help, but I knew better than to argue with him at that time.

However, when I started to turn to leave, a man ran out, screaming, "Help! Get him! He killed my-" I witnessed Jeff's whole body language change in an instant. He wasn't facing me any longer, but his knees were bent, and his back was slightly hunched, like he was a predator about to pounce on prey. My hands flew to my mouth to stop any sound from coming out as Jeff cut the dad off, stabbing him in the shoulder.

I stumbled back as Jeff easily removed the knife from the man's arm, but that blow was only to stun the man. Jeff grabbed him by the shoulder and brought him close, sending the knife through his abdominal section. The man fell to the ground, gripping the more fatal of the wounds, and I watched with wide eyes as he shook, like he were retching something. I thought that would be the end of it, but then Jeff kicked him hard in the chest, making the father fall on his back. Jeff quickly knelt and sent the knife into the man's heart. He just kept stabbing the victim, and in the faint moonlight, I could see a dark liquid begin to pool around the surely dead man.

Finally, my flight or fight response kicked in, and I ran out of the yard and down the street to the next block over, where we agreed we would meet if I had to get away for one reason or another. I tried to calm myself down, but the shock of what I had seen was fresh, and my mind played the scene like a movie on repeat. That was complete overkill! Even when the man was dead, Jeff didn't stop. Did he enjoy it? Did he like killing people? Had he lied to me? But it wasn't like he killed someone every time he tried to keep Liu from hurting anyone. He hadn't the day before, and I knew that for a fact since I had been there. Maybe he wasn't a mindless killer, but did that really change what I had just seen?

I gasped when someone laid their hand on my shoulder. "It's just me, Ronnie!" Jeff assured me. He removed his hand, and when I turned to him, he looked like nothing had happened. There was a little blood on his hands, but he was back to who he was before. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you back there. Quinton's dad was coming. Quinton was dead, and so was his mom. I guess she heard something going on and went to check on him."

"No, it's fine. It's too bad we didn't get there sooner," I managed to get past my lips.

"We better get back. I don't think anyone heard me outside, but patrol might come around here and find him," he said, pulling the bandana back over his mouth and nose. When he started walking away, I followed behind, wondering what was really going on.