Chapter 28

My finger tapped against my thigh nervously as I sat on the bed, playing with the bandana in my other hand. The ambulance had gotten to us in under five minutes, and I rode with Jeff to the hospital, telling the EMTs as much as I could. Jeff went unconscious right before we arrived at our destination, and the paramedics refused to tell me anything about what was happening as I watched his breathing begin to falter. I fought to stay with him as they tried to take him away from me on a gurney, but they had to get him into emergency surgery. They tore me from him, and all I had managed to grab was the black bandana around his neck.

No one was willing to tell me anything. I was put in a hospital room where they addressed my injuries, which consisted of wrapping my head, stitching up my hand, and giving me a low dose of medication through an IV to help with the pain from my concussion. It had been two hours since Jeff went into surgery, and for all I knew, he could have been dead! I wasn't allowed into the waiting room for surgery patients. I wasn't even allowed to leave my room.

"Ronlyn, please, we need you to focus. I know it's a little hard right now, but just try. Can you tell me the story again?" Agent Teel asked me, standing at the foot of my bed.

I tried to get my mind off Jeff and said, "Uh... yeah. Sorry. I met Jeff in McKenna at the... um...." I drew a blank for a moment. "Feeding Communities Foundation! Yeah, that was it. My supervisor was Marcy Abate. She can vouch for me. I gave him the... food we were giving out since he wouldn't go up himself. He kept his face covered. I only ever saw his eyes and his hand, which is when I noticed how, uh... how pale he was."

"So, you did speak with him?" she continued.

"Well, um, not at first. It was more like... I spoke to him? He wouldn't reply the first two days. On the third, I was curious, so I asked him things like what his name was, if he was from there, and where his family was. He.... He never really gave me straight answers. The most he really let me know was his name was, uh, Woods, and he used to live pretty far from McKenna.

"It was snowing that night, though, and I got.... I got...."

"Worried?"

"Worried! Yeah, I got worried. I snuck out of my house to give him some blankets. He had, uh...." I motioned to my chest and stomach. "Oh, um, blood on him, and then the police came, and he made me run."

She raised an eyebrow, "You just happened to want to give a stranger blankets in the middle of the night?"

I sighed, "I care a lot about people I don't know."

"And you were aware there was a serial killer in your area?"

"Yeah, but I knew I wouldn't... get hurt as long as I wasn't, um, home. And I didn't believe Jeff the Killer was real."

"And that's when he told you everything you knew about him was wrong? That the papers got everything wrong, and Liu was the one killing?" she frowned doubtfully.

"I didn't believe it, either. I just went along with it so I wouldn't get killed. It wasn't until he took me to the first murder scene that I knew he had to be telling the truth. Jeff had no clue about Liu killing until he showed up here a few, uh, weeks ago? Yeah, a few weeks. Um, he was the only one who could see the connections, and he knew he had to stop it. Yeah, he did go into the houses, but he was just trying to stop... trying to stop... to stop Liu. We were just always too late. He never killed anyone, he never hurt me, and I was willing to go with him to help. Jeff came to Washington from, um, Ohio to get as far away from the police as he could. He never left here. Please, you've... you've gotta believe me. Jeff doesn't deserve to go to jail for something he didn't do. He's wasted three years already under these accusations," I pleaded. I was trying the best I could, but concentrating made my head hurt, and it was making me feel sleepy. Keeping my lies in order was hard enough without the head injury.