Chapter 20

"I just wasn't thinking about it!" Jeff defended himself that night. We had been walking the entire day, leaving me sore. On top of that, I hadn't slept in over a day, and I was beginning to run solely on fumes.

"Yeah, I noticed that," I snapped. Around sunset, I noticed he kept messing with his neck, so I made him show me. Because of the direction we were walking while he had his hood down, the sun was facing away from us. Still, part of his neck had been exposed, and it was burned a bright red color. The really terrible thing was that the only places he was completely numb from the acid burns were his hands and face. His neck could still feel, and while it definitely didn't hurt as bad as it should have, it still bothered him. While I wasn't happy about it, I was making us stop at the nearest town to find some aloe. "Are we almost there?"

"Yeah, it's just past those trees. We need to hurry. The stores are probably closing now," he told me, leading him through the forest. I yawned in response, seeing a bunch of lights past the trees.

As we got closer, my frown deepened. I could hear music and voices. I asked, "Can you hear that?"

He nodded, confused, "Yeah. Let's see what's going on." He pulled up his bandana and took my hand, and we walked out into the open.

At the town limit was a huge banner that stretched from two light poles over the road leading into it. A ticket booth was set up with a large line of people, and there were even more people just walking about and talking with each other. Music blasted in the night, and there were bright lights all around so people could see. Some of the strangers were dressed normally, and others were in costume, dressed as characters, monsters, and almost always covered in blood. We got a bit closer, and I made out that the banner said, "Annual Benham Horror Movie Festival!"

I gasped, "You didn't tell me we were in Benham!"

"You know this place?" he asked, surprised.

"Yeah, it's only twenty miles from McKenna. They have this festival every year, and it takes up about half the town. A bunch of scenes from famous horror movies were shot here back in the day," I smiled.

"Which movies?"

"I have no clue. I'm not a fan of horror. Some of my friends from middle school were, though. They went to this once, but their parents were terrified of all the drugs and drunk people around," I explained.

"You don't know anyone here, do you?" he asked, alarmed by the new information.

"No way. I don't have that many friends, and none of them like horror movies. Or have a car to get them here. We'll be fine as long as we can get in and out," I shrugged. We walked down to the festival, and we were going to pass the banner to get into town when Jeff suddenly stopped me.

"Look! It says that food and drink are included with the tickets!" he exclaimed excitedly.

I frowned, looking up at it, "The tickets are forty dollars a piece. Plus, they're all sold out."