Chapter 16

As it would turn out, we had been wrong about Liu. The next morning, while walking past a quarter machine, Jeff got sidetracked by a headline in bold letters. A child had been murdered that night, sometime after when we had discovered Liu, but it wasn't Trent. Jeff was so pissed that he stormed off before I could try to read part of the article to find out a bit more.

The next believed victim was twelve-year-old Cole Dwight, and from his Twitter, he just looked like a problem child in general. From bragging about detentions to talking really terribly about his family, he seemed to have all his bases covered. However, as the time came closer and closer to go to his house, I became more nervous. Knowing how irritated Jeff was that Liu still killed someone along with his lack of sleep gave me a terrible feeling, which is why I asked, "Can I go with you on this one?"

Jeff looked over at me as we walked through the streets to get to Cole's home, "What do you mean?"

"Like, can I go in with you?" I elaborated. He immediately stopped and looked at me like I said something completely alien. "What?"

"No!" he said loudly. He put a hand to his mouth and looked around, seeing if he attracted any attention. After seeing there was no one around, he continued on more quietly. "You're crazy if you think I'd let you."

I frowned, "Why?"

"You mean besides being kinda clumsy and not athletic? You haven't seen what Liu can do. It's dark stuff," Jeff told me.

"I can take it."

"I don't think you can. Why do you think none of the newspapers have described how these kids were killed? Besides, I need to be stealthy and keep my emotions in check, and you would have to, too. You wouldn't do well," he stated, beginning to walk off. I followed him quickly.

I admitted, "I know I'm not that graceful, but I can still do anything you can. I just want to see what we're really up against, you know? It's not like I'm going to get in the way or anything."

He scoffed, "Yeah, you will. You'll leave DNA at the scene or something, anyway. We don't need another reason for the police to convict you."

I promised, "I won't touch anything! I'll follow your lead and everything! Come on, you had to know I would want to go with you someday, right?"

Jeff denied, "No, I really didn't. I don't even want to do it." I crossed my arms and screwed my lips to the side. "Look, if you would like to be scarred for life, be my guest. It just means I won't have to hear the same thing again later, but you better keep up with me. I can't slow down when we get in there."

I assured him, "Don't even think about it." He gave me a doubting look, but he didn't say anything more until we reached the house.

Cole's house had two levels, and the outside was painted a light blue that stood out against the other white houses on the street. I frowned at seeing the ADT sign in front of the house. However, Jeff pointed at a window on the side of the house and said, "Look. It's open."