Chapter 15

I woke with a start when I got lightly shoved. "Hey, wake up. Your turn to be lookout," Jeff told me in a tone that told me he still wasn't thrilled with the situation. He did go through with it, though. I guess he must have known how angry I would have been if he had let me sleep in.

I rubbed my eyes as I sat up and yawned, "Did anything happen?"

"Nope. Nothing to worry about," he replied, laying down next to me. I tried to stay quiet so as to not disturb him. For about an hour, I kept my focus on the forest around me, but my mind began to wander.

With everything that had happened to us in that town, I really didn't want to stay in Chancellor any longer. It was almost like a bad omen, and I didn't have any interest in finding out what it had in store for us next. Plus, I really didn't like the fact Liu knew exactly where we were. How were we even sure that Liu would stay? What if Jeff scared him off? That must have been the closest Jeff ever got to Liu, after all. Maybe Liu didn't like the idea of being in Chancellor anymore, either.

I listened carefully for anything that could have been in out of place as I thought about everything. What Jeff said in Trent's house still bothered me greatly. He couldn't lie about not contemplating murdering Trent's mother. He said it, but that didn't quite explain it. With the man from Aspen Park, he was at least coming to hurt us. Sure, Jeff might have gone overboard, but he was trying to defend himself. The thing about Trent's mother was that she hadn't done anything. She was probably fast asleep. What reason did he have, then? Because the reason I was thinking of was pretty terrible.

I sighed softly and glanced over at Jeff next to me. The moon illuminated the darkness just enough for me to be able to make out his face. Of course, it looked like he was smiling, but his real lips were in a soft frown. Honestly, he looked kinda sweet like that if you could look past the things that weren't usual on people, and I had learned how to. Actually, the more I thought about it, his appearance never really scared me. I guess I never really minded. That, or I was too terrified about what he might do to me. A new thought occurred to me, though. Did he really care about his appearance? He never said anything about it that I could remember that gave his opinion. He went to great lengths to keep himself covered, but that was due to medical reasons and the fact he knew he would be recognized. Maybe he had gotten used to it over the years.

The longer I looked at him, the more things I noticed. His hands kept twitching, which wasn't strange for someone who was sleeping, but his eyes kept moving, like he was blinking. Then, I realized his breathing was wrong. The breaths were too shallow for someone who was asleep. I narrowed my eyes at him.

Since I was so sure, I asked, "Are you pretending to be asleep?" There was no response, but his hand did start moving more. "I know you're not sleeping, Jeff."

"I wasn't pretending," he mumbled.

"Really? Because you were trying hard to be still," I frowned. He opened his eyes and glared back at me.

"I didn't realize you had to act like you're running a marathon to be asleep," he said sarcastically. The more I thought about it, I had never seen him sleep. I always slept first, and he was always awake when I woke up, acting like he's been up for at least an hour prior.