Chapter 12

We barely spoke a word when Jeff returned from the library other than him telling me we were going to Chancellor, which was about two miles south of Aspen Park. We left that night, trekking through the snow in a silence full of tension. Luckily, Chancellor had received minimal snowfall, and it was a few degrees warmer, so falling asleep wasn't as uncomfortable as the previous night.

That morning, Jeff and I had to go scavenge in dumpsters since we hadn't eaten much the day before. The first two garbage cans had been filled with rotten food, and we almost got caught the first time, but there honestly wasn't much in Chancellor. It was probably one of the smallest towns I'd ever been to. It was beginning to look like we would have to buy something to eat, and while I wasn't exactly disappointed, I didn't like the idea of wasting money. Seeing how harsh days like our last day in Aspen Park could be, I had a new perspective. I didn't want to go spending money that we could use on a blanket or something if we ever found one cheap enough.

"I can't believe this is taking so long. I wanted to be at the library by now," Jeff shook his head to himself.

"Do you even know if there's one here? It's pretty small. What are you gonna do if there isn't?" I wondered, looking around for other dumpsters as we walked.

"Well, I guess this town would be safe from me, right?" he replied in a tone that made my frown deepen.

"How many times am I going to have to say I was wrong and apologize?" I cut my eyes at him.

"I guess we'll find out," he challenged. Even though we weren't on good terms, anyway, both of us being hungry and tired, which I knew by the bags beginning to form under his eyes again, was not making things easier. We would be at each other's throats before the day was through if we didn't find some food.

I refused to look at him and turned my head, reading signs and looking at the windows we passed instead. As we were walking by a store, something caught my eye. I stopped abruptly, and Jeff sighed, "What the hell are you doing?"

I placed my hand on the large glass window and whispered, "In there. The TV." I heard him make a noise when he saw what I saw. My breath began to fog up the glass, so I wiped it away with my sleeve.

"Listen, I get it, but don't go in there," he hissed in my ear, trying to keep others from hearing us that might stroll by, completely unaware of what was happening.

"I want to know what they're saying," I ignored him.

"Don't do it. I can't go in there. I don't want to be on the cameras, and I don't think you should be, either," he instructed me. He tried to catch my wrist when I made a run for it, but I avoided him and bolted inside the shop, leaving him outside.

There were captions on the TV screen, but I couldn't quite read them from where I was standing. I asked the clerk, "Do you mind turning on the volume?"

He looked up from whatever book he was reading, just noticing me, and said, "Oh, uh, sure." He fumbled around for a minute, looking for the remote, before turning the volume on loud enough for me to hear.