Chapter 24

Even though I was sure it wouldn't work, Jeff still wanted to try one more time his way. I knew it might make him feel better about my plan, and it couldn't hurt. It wasn't like we could have done anything at that time, anyway. We had been in Kenyon for too long. We were probably going to have to switch towns if we wanted it to really work.

Jeff and I walked to the house we had researched earlier in the day that belonged to Garrett Morris. He was almost thirteen with a sister a few years younger than him, and his parents were still together. It was a house with two floors, but it was in the middle of a low-income neighborhood, so we knew they couldn't afford any sort of security to protect it. It was only around eight when we arrived, and while it was dark out, we both found it strange every light in the house was off. We looked around at the other houses.

"All the other houses have lights on. At least, porch lights," I noticed.

"I don't like this. We may already be too late. I want to check out the back," Jeff told me, pulling down the bandana to reveal the rest of his face. We snuck around to the side of the house. Jeff hopped over the fence with ease and unlocked it from the inside, letting me in. We both stopped when we saw something near the backdoor. "Aw, man."

A black Labrador laid on its side, revealing a large gash down its middle. Tears sprung to my eyes at the sight of the poor animal. I tried to forget the image burned into my mind as I looked away. "Liu's never done that before. What made him change?" Jeff murmured to himself, staring at it sadly.

I suggested, "Maybe it was going to attack him."

"Yeah, maybe," he said, sounding very unsure. He pointed to the door that was slightly ajar. "It's already open." I watched as he crouched in front of it and removed a piece of wire from the lock. "Liu picked it. I'm going to see what I can find. I'll try to be quick." Then, he disappeared into the house.

I tried to keep my eyes off the dog as I waited. Jeff was right. Something really felt wrong. I wasn't sure what, but there was something very off about the whole thing. I wrapped my arms around myself, starting to get chills, but it wasn't from the temperature that was beginning to drop. I searched around the close proximity as discreetly as I could. I don't know. It felt like someone was watching me. I didn't know where they were, but there was no doubt in my mind by how my body was reacting.

Jeff came out through the door with a distressed look. "I don't know if you should see this, Ronnie," he told me carefully.

"Is it really that bad?" I wondered, getting even more scared by how he was acting.

"I don't think I can even begin to explain it," he replied. I pressed my lips into a thin line. He had been looking at murders for years, and they didn't usually affect him. If it had shaken even him up, did I really want to see?

"I'll look," I decided. He nodded hesitantly, knowing I probably wouldn't take no for an answer. With a reminder to touch absolutely nothing, he took me into the house.

We walked through the living room, and he wasn't even trying to be quiet. That was how I predetermined that everyone had to be dead, which gave me a sinking feeling. After going up the stairs to the second room on the right, he stopped. He placed his hand on the handle, but he didn't turn it. "I'm not letting you go inside, but I'll let you see it, okay?" he said.