Chapter 25

I wasn't any calmer than I was when we left the Morris's house. At some point, I found myself still shaking from the sheer terror of it all instead of the bitter night. Jeff and I hadn't spoken much, and I had a feeling he was in the same state as me. Neither of us could have been prepared for such a gory scene made by his brother in a rampage we didn't understand.

"You should sleep," Jeff finally spoke up as we sat next to each other in the forest.

"You need to, too," I said, but my voice came out breathy, like I wasn't completely there. I slowly pulled out the slightly beaten box of Benadryl I had bought earlier in the day. Since NyQuil hadn't been strong enough, I though I should try something else.

"No way. I need to stay awake in case Liu comes around," he shook his head.

I began opening the box and asked, "What good will you be if you're tired? You haven't slept in about two or three days. I can see the dark circles under your eyes. Besides, he must be completely knocked out after something like... that. I doubt he'll be coming after us tonight."

As I struggled to peel the backing off one of the pill's casing, he protested, "You never know with him."

I frowned, "I know, but I think we can see we're never going to pinpoint his actions perfectly. This is just one of those risks, okay? We could both use the sleep." I shook two of the clear pills out of their cases and into my hands. I offered it to him. "I think two is the most you can take."

He sighed and let me poor them into his palm. Before he put them in his mouth, he wondered, "Will it really work this time?"

I shrugged, "I really don't know. They always make me sleep, but for some people, they make them really hyper."

"So, this could make me worse?"

"Yeah, but if it works, this is one of the strongest things I can get without a prescription," I told him. Jeff frowned a bit as he looked at the pills. Then, he popped them in his mouth and swallowed them dry.

Jeff figured, "I guess we'll see in the morning."

I nodded, "Yeah, it's been a long day." I was stunned when Jeff suddenly kissed my forehead. I stared at him with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry you had to see that. I probably shouldn't have let you," he apologized, looking sincere.

"I knew what I was doing. Don't worry about it," I assured him. He breathed deeply and nodded before sitting across from me. I laid down where I was and closed my eyes, trying to will away the disturbing images that filled my head.

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of a loud noise. I stayed still for a few moments, but I heard nothing more. I rubbed the back of my neck as I sat up. Groggily, I looked around. It was still the middle of the night, but I didn't have a clue what the time was. There were no animals around us, so I figured one had probably broken a branch and scurried off.

I looked a few feet away from me and saw Jeff's still form in the little light the moon offered. I couldn't tell if he was sleeping or not. "Hey, Jeff?" I whispered to him. He said nothing. He didn't even flinch. I smiled to myself. The Benadryl must have worked, which meant he could finally sleep soundly without having to do anything drastic. Hopefully, he wouldn't start having nightmares.

Something covered my mouth, and it felt like a hand. It smelled like blood. I tried to scream, but it was muffled completely. The other arm grabbed me around the waist and started pulling me away from Jeff. He couldn't even hear what was happening! In a sudden panic, I yelled, kicked, and thrashed about to try to get the attacker off me, but they weren't giving in.

When Jeff was out of sight, and we were alone among the trees, the person slammed me to the ground, knocking all the air out of me. The person got on top of me and held me down, covering my mouth once more. Their face was hidden, but I saw them hold up a huge rock. My eyes widened, and I shook my head, shrieking as loud as I could for Jeff, for anyone, to help me. I watched them bring it down in a swift motion. There was a sharp pain before everything went black.