Chapter 19

I kept tugging at my ponytail until it got to the point that I had to redo it. I pulled the hair tie out and sighed to myself. I watched Jeff in front of me as I tied my hair back once more. He didn't look as pissed as he did earlier, but we hadn't spoken for the hour or two we'd been walking. I thought it was better to leave him to his thoughts, whatever they were.

Honestly, I had too much on my mind to be worrying about him. Liu was terrorizing me with how he saved me earlier. I just couldn't wrap my head around why he would do it. Fair enough a psychopath was difficult to understand in the first place, but wasn't I just another thing keeping him from Jeff? Shouldn't he have wanted to kill me, too, even if I wasn't his type?

Also, was it really just a stroke of luck that he was right there when I was caught? What made him follow me? He couldn't have moved his obsession onto me, or else he would have kept me with him. The fact that he knew where I was and that I was in trouble told me he had followed me from the woods. Liu really was watching us, but how could he always know the exact location of where we were? Did he really search the entire forest for us? Besides, Jeff really was too spot on with figuring out who Liu's next victims are. I always knew that, but I ignored it since it was working. Things weren't adding up.

Jeff looked back at me as I fixed my ponytail and said, "What's with you?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, pulling the hair into the holder before letting it hang again.

"You had to fix your hair. That means you're tugging at it a lot. You do that when you're anxious or thinking," he noticed.

"I do not," I frowned, crossing my arms.

"You do. I know you must be pretty shaken up over the police chase. I'm sorry I wasn't there and everything, but you don't have to worry. They won't catch us again," he assured me.

I sighed, "No, it's not that. I mean, I am worried about that, but it's more that that."

He said, "Just tell me. It's a messed up day, anyway."

I pursed my lips and thought about saying something, but then I looked around me. I jogged to catch up with him and spoke softly, "I've been thinking about something that's been bothering me. You know how Liu was watching us the other day? Well, I just don't think things add up. Like, you always seem to be correct about who the next victims are, and your system really shouldn't be that foolproof. Plus, the fact that he could find us so easily was strange. So... what if we're going in circles?"

"I don't get it."

"I meant that maybe we're not really following him. What if he's just following us, and you're going after fake leads?" I suggested quietly. He looked at me like I was the insane one. "Like I said before, you're method is working too perfectly when it has so many flaws."

He denied, "That's not possible. There've been times that I've been wrong before. The only reason he found us was because he followed us since we got to the house too early."