Chapter 5

Jeff moved towards me, but I backed up and yelled, "Stay away from me!"

He froze and said, "Okay, I won't come any closer. I'm putting the knife down, see?" He laid it down slowly on the floor next to him and then placed his hands in the air. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

"Of course, you will! You're a killer!" I accused. Panic was truly starting to set in.

"No! Well, yes. Kinda. It's hard to explain," he told me calmly.

"You've murdered all of those innocent families. You murdered your own family. All the stories were true," I said, my voice shaking.

"They aren't. A lot of it is wrong, I swear. I mean, look! My eyelids are still here!" he exclaimed, blinking to emphasize his point.

"That doesn't prove anything," I argued.

Jeff pushed, "You don't understand!" When he took a step towards me, I took another back. He stayed in his place again. "Everyone messed up the story. There are parts that are true, but the major parts aren't."

"And why should I believe you?"

He frowned, "Well, you don't have anywhere else to go, do you?" I looked around. The only doors were locked, and the display window in the front was made of glass that I probably couldn't break. Not mention I'd surely hurt myself in the process. It seemed the only exit I had was the one he blocked my way to.

I allowed with no other option, "You better be convincing."

He sighed a bit, probably relieved, and explained, "Okay, yeah, my name is Jeff Woods, which I didn't really lie to you about, and I'm Jeff the Killer. The beginning of the story was true. Three years ago, those three guys tried to steal from us, and I beat them up, but I didn't feel insane or anything. I just have a lot of anger issues. Anyway, Liu did take the fall for me, and he went to the correctional facility while he was awaiting his trial.

"Everything about the party was true, too, but it was all purely out of self defense. I didn't want to kill them, but they had guns! They were going to kill me! And they almost did! But when I was in the hospital, they released Liu because Keith admitted they had started the fight, and... something was different. Liu never left my bedside and always talked to me. I couldn't respond, and most of the time, I was high on painkillers, but I remember a few things he said. It just wasn't like him, you know? He sounded strange, but it was only around me. He'd talk about jail and all the terrible things that went on there. When anyone else came in, though, he turned back into his old self and started talking about really bland things. I remember thinking at some point that Juvi did something to him. I don't know. I just.... There was something wrong.

"After I got the bandages off, I did act pretty crazy."

I interrupted, "You admit it."

He glared at me, "I was high on painkillers after a traumatic event, so excuse me if I was just a little loopy that day." I pursed my lips. He rolled his eyes. "Even that night is a pretty big blur, but there are some moments I can make out. I kept saying that I looked beautiful, and I was really happy, and that made Liu happy. My parents thought I couldn't really comprehend much, but I heard them talking about how terrible I looked, and it made me upset. Liu yelled at them before taking me to my room. I just slept in my clothes after he gave me my pills.