Chapter 2

"I'm home!" I called later that day, closing the door and locking it behind me. My mother rushed out to greet me with a worried expression.

"How was it? Are you okay? None of the homeless looked dangerous, right?" she fretted. My mom had been the biggest protester when I announced I was joining Feeding Communities, though she still let me after a few weeks of begging. While she encouraged my charity work, she really hated the idea of working with homeless. For some reason, she thought they were all dangerous idiots wanting more alcohol or drugs or something.

My mother looked a lot like me. She had short white-blond hair, the same color as mine, with gray eyes, but her worrisome expression twisted her face. I smiled at her, "I'm freezing, but it was nice helping out today, even though my supervisor is pretty stressed. The homeless were kind people who simply lost their way a bit, as I knew they would be, so don't worry so much about it, alright?" I removed my coat, leaving the nametag pinned to it so I wouldn't forget it the next day and put it on the coatrack.

I followed her into the kitchen and frowned, "Where's Dad? Did he have to work or something?"

Mom told me with a shrug, "There was a problem at the school, I think. He didn't get to tell me much. He said he'd be back in about an hour if all goes well, but that way about an hour and a half ago." My dad worked as the principal of a local elementary school, which was old and rundown. He constantly had to supervise renovations on the weekends, and emergencies weren't too uncommon. On the other hand, I figured I probably got my need to help people from him. He adored children and liked to see them happy, and that was probably the only reason he hadn't quit.

My mom handed me a glass of water, and I thanked her, sitting at the kitchen table. When I saw what was laying on it, I sighed, exasperated, "Mom, you really shouldn't read stuff like this." At least I knew why she had been so scared. I grabbed the newspaper, scowling at the front page.

She defended herself, "Your dad brought it into the house and left it there when he finished breakfast! I have to skim over it!"

OMINOUS UNKNOWN KILLER STILL AT LARGE!

After weeks of unexplained murders, the ominous, unknown killer is still on the rise. After little evidence has been found, a young boy states that he survived one of the killer's attacks and bravely tells his story.

"I had a bad dream, and I woke up in the middle of the night," says the boy. "I saw that, for some reason, the window was open, even though I remember it being closed before I went to bed. I got up and shut it once more. Afterwards, I simply crawled under my covers and tried to get back to sleep.

"That's when I had a strange feeling, like someone was watching me. I looked up and nearly jumped out of my bed. There, in the little ray of light illuminating from between my curtains, was a pair of eyes. These weren't regular eyes; they were dark, ominous eyes. They were bordered in black and... just plain out terrified me. That's when I saw his mouth. A long, horrendous smile that made every hair on my body stand up.

"The figure stood there, watching me. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he said it. A simple phrase, but said in a way only a madman could speak. He said, 'Go to sleep.'

"I let out a scream; that's what sent him at me. He pulled up a knife, aiming at my heart. He jumped on top of my bed. I fought him back. I kicked; I punched; I rolled around, trying to knock him off me. That's when my dad busted in. The man threw the knife; it went into my dad's shoulder. The man probably would've finished him off if one of the neighbors hadn't alerted the police.

"They drove into the parking lot and ran towards the door. The man turned and ran down the hallway. I heard a smash, like glass breaking. As I came out of my room, I saw the window that was pointing towards the back of my house was broken. I looked out it to see him vanish into the distance.

"I can tell you one thing, I will never forget that face. Those cold, evil eyes, and that psychotic smile. They will never leave my head."

Police are still on the lookout for this man. If you see anyone that fits the description in this story, please contact your local police department.

I couldn't stand to read any more of it and threw it on the table. "The best witness they have is a little kid frightened out of his mind?" I questioned, crossing my arms.

"That little boy is from a few towns away, but I've heard on the news that there's speculation that the killer might be in ours right now. There was a murder last night!" she exclaimed.

I dismissed, "I've heard about this story already. The kid is probably lying. He gave the exact description of Jeff the Killer."

"Who?"

"It's this story going around my school, but I guess it's a bit more stretched than I thought. Supposedly, a guy named Jeff and his family moved to a new town. Him and his older brother, Liu, met some bullies and Jeff beat them up really badly. Liu took the fall for it and went to prison, and Jeff got to stay at home. A few days later, he had to go to a kid's party where the bullies showed back up with guns. When he fought them, something 'snapped', and he killed two of the three guys. Overall, he was covered in vodka or some type of alcohol and bleach got poured on him, and the guy who was alive set him on fire with a lighter.

"Jeff was taken to the hospital, he lived, and his brother got released after the guy admitted he and his friends started the initial fight. Unfortunately, his skin was bleached white, but he was released even after acting weird since he was high on pain meds and no one knew his psyche had snapped. That night, the mother found him in the bathroom cutting a smile in his cheeks from the corner of his lips to the end of his jaw so he could always smile, and he had burned his eyelids off so he could always look at himself. His mother tried to get the gun and wake up her husband, so he killed them. Then, he killed Liu."

Mom gasped, tears in her eyes, "That's terrible!"

"Mom, it's an urban legend! You can't survive without your eyelids. Your eyes would dry up. It's all fake," I told her.

She looked at me doubtfully, "I still want you to be careful. Don't talk to anyone you don't have to, alright?"

I laughed, "Yes, okay, Mom. I will stay away from Jeff the Killer."