Chapter three, I'll stay ... For Katy

*Katy's POV*

   At some point I fell asleep still being crushed by Rayne. When I woke I sat up and she woke up too.
   "Do you want some breakfast now?" I asked. She propped herself up on her elbows and smiled.
   "Umm, yeah, sure." She slid over to her suitcase and rummaged through, pulling out a hairbrush.
   I left her to it as I went to get breakfast. I pulled some bacon from the fridge and fried it, then sandwiched it between slices of bread once they were cooked. I grabbed a bottle of ketchup and took them upstairs, proud that I hadn't burnt the bacon to a crisp.
   When I opened the door I saw Rayne struggling with her hair.
   "For crying out loud! Why couldn't I just get a haircut?!" She yelled, dropping the brush and screaming into a pillow.
   "So, why didn't you get a haircut?" I asked, putting the plates down and picking up the brush. I sat next to her and ever so carefully brushed her hair.
   "My mom wouldn't let me."  She shrugged. Ten minutes later I had worked my way through all of her knee length hair. KNEE LENGTH!
   "I brought you breakfast." I said. She glanced at the sandwiches and I grabbed one, taking a bite.
   "Well, I didn't burn it for a change." I mumbled.
   "Congratulations." She turned to stare at the opposite wall.
   "Do you not want one?" I asked. She shook her head and looked at floor. "What's up?" I put the sandwich down and touched her shoulder. She jumped up.
   "Please don't." She mumbled, holding her elbows and staring at the floor again.
   "What did I do?" I stood up and took a step towards her. She stepped back.
   "I don't want you to touch me." She whispered, meeting my gaze for a second before looking back down at the floor.
   "Why?" I would be lying if I said I didn't feel hurt by this.
   "I don't want meat juice all over me." She looked up again, this time holding my gaze, and flushed a deep shade of red.
   "So ... you're veggie?" I asked, already knowing the answer. She nodded.
   I washed my hands and when I came back a sudden thought flashed across my mind. It wasn't relevant to the situation at all. It was when John said he had seen Rayne at Taylor's and he thought she were about twelve. I didn't agree now I'd seen her though. I thought she were about ten, especially watching her now as she toyed with the hem of her shirt. Without thinking the words tumbled from my mouth.
   "How old are you? John said he thought you were about twelve but I disagree, I think you about ten."
   "I'm fourteen." She let out a small laugh. She pulled at a fraying bit of her dirty shirt and a long line of string unraveled.
   "You've been wearing those for six days straight, won't you get changed?" I asked.
   "I haven't, I washed them whilst Taylor slept." She smirked.
   "You're so cheeky." Her face, which had turned pale, flushed red again.
   "But, yeah, I will change. Not with you watching though."
   I stuck out my tongue.
   "Damn, I was so looking forwards to seeing a naked teen." I said sarcastically.
   "Gross! You didn't even think I was a teen!" She laughed.
   "You should wash too, I can smell you a mile off." She put her had to her chest and fake gasped. I smiled and grabbed the sandwiches. "More for me." I smiled, leaving and finishing the sandwiches in the kitchen. I tossed the plate into the sink as the front door clicked.
   John came into the kitchen and pulled some ice cream from the freezer. He sat down and began eating.
   "Not sharing?" I asked. He jumped. I laughed at him and he scowled.
   "How long were you there?" He asked.
   "The whole time." I smirked. He put the ice cream away and gave me a quick kiss. He began to walk away and I grabbed his shirt, tugging him back.
   I wrapped my arms around his neck kissed the strawberry ice cream from his mouth. He lifted me up and sat me on the island.
   He leaned over and I playfully kissed around his neck. He pushed me back and forced his tongue back in my mouth.
   John slid the strap off of my shoulder and kissed the area where the strap had been. He slid his hand up my top and unfastened my bra.
   "That's gross!" Rayne whined. John straightened up and I spun around and fastened my bra, still on the island.
   I slid across it and lunged for Rayne. She jumped back and ran for the stairs.
   I couldn't help but laugh as I chased her, taking the stairs three at a time.
   I heard her bedroom door close and I burst in after her. She was crumpled on the floor and unable to breathe.
   She had obviously used what little energy she had gained from sleeping. I held her up and guided her to the kitchen.
   John was no longer there. I grabbed a protein shake from the cupboard and poured it into a glass, topping it off with a paper straw and gave it to Rayne.
   She took a sip a smiled.
   "Pineapple." She whispered taking another sip.
   "Yeah, it's my favourite fruit." I grabbed my own shake and drank from the bottle.
   She sipped her way through the shake and cleaned her glass and the plate before I could stop her.
   "You don't have to do that." I said as she sat down and began to mess with her damp hair.
   A sharp knock at the door made us both look up. Rayne looked back down and I went to answer it.
   It was Taylor.
   "I have a new stalker." I mumbled as she barged past.
   "RAYNE!" She yelled. I closed the door and went back to the kitchen, purposely sitting so Taylor couldn't see Rayne.
   When Taylor spotted Rayne she wrapped her arms around her. Tears sprung into Rayne's eyes and she fought to keep them in.
   "You look so much better." Taylor whispered. Rayne pushed her away and backed out of the kitchen, shaking, and trying not to cry. Her hand found the handle and a single tear escaped. She turned and ran upstairs and Taylor started after her.
   I grabbed her wrist and her head whipped round. She was giving me a death glare.
   "Let. Me. Go ... She's. My. Daughter!" She spat between tugs.
   "And she's upset, she wasn't happy about having to live with you in the first place. She just needs time to adjust." I let go and she stumbled. I glared up at her as I walked past and ran up the stairs.
   I was aware of Taylor following me but I wasn't going to say anything, if I did I might push her down the stairs.
   I found Rayne curled up in a ball on her temporary bed. She was rocking and crying, trying to be quiet.
   I touched her shoulder and she leaned into me.
   "Make her leave." She sobbed. "I don't think I can handle seeing her."
   I glanced up and saw Taylor leaned against the doorframe, holding back tears.
   "I just wanted you to love me. I tried, I swear." She whispered before turning and leaving.
   I looked back at Rayne and she was clutching her chest and gasping for air.
   "I don't feel ... I can't breathe ... I think I-" Her eyes fluttered closed and her body thumped to the floor, slipping through my fingers.
   I knelt besides her and Taylor rushed in too. She dropped besides her and reached for her face. She hesitated but she dropped into a hug.
   "I'm sorry. I tried, I swear." She whispered. Rayne moaned and Taylor stood up.
   After a moment Rayne had come around.
   "Why are you here?" She asked, glaring at Taylor.
   "Social services want to take you into a care home. I said I was your biological mother but they didn't believe me. They're at home waiting for you." Taylor broke down.
   Rayne glanced up at me then to Taylor.
   "Well, then let's go. We'll ask for DNA test and if they say no then let them take me away." Taylor looked at her with a panicked expression. "If they do then you can adopt me."
   "Really?" Taylor asked, wiping her tear stained face. Rayne looked at me again, holding my gaze for a few seconds.
   "Really." She said. Taylor dove into a hug and Rayne tried to pull away at first but then gingerly put her arms around Taylor.

*Rayne's POV*

   I agreed to stay with Taylor, I'll stay ... For Katy. When I told Taylor this (not the Katy bit, obviously) she hugged me and I wanted to pull away but I was too weak and I and also needed to keep up the act.
   I waved goodbye to Katy and I got in Taylor's car. Taylor had to carry my suitcase and Katy gave me a box of fifty protein shakes. Fifty! Who owns that many? I gave her a quick hug goodbye before I had to go with Taylor.
   When we got 'home' we went inside and a social worker was waiting for me in the front room.
   "Hello." She said, shaking my hand when she saw me. Great! She's a perky person.
   "Hi." I replied. Taylor wasn't allowed in incase she tried to 'sway my opinion' she had to wait in the kitchen.
   "I'm Ellie."
   "I'm Rayne."
   "I know. Ok, so I'd like to ask you a few questions."
   "Okay."
   "How old are you?"
   "Fourteen."
   "Good, birthday?"
   "Thirty first of July 2001."
   "Yes. Do you like Taylor?"
   "No." I scoffed. Oops. "In the sense that I'm a Katycat." I quickly covered up.
   "Ahhhhh." Ellie laughed. "But do you like her?"
   "Yes, I think she's a great mother. She's kind and considerate, I couldn't wish for someone better." I lied. Maybe it was a bit too much?
   "Really? That's great. But, your looking a bit thin." She held up my hand and my sleeve slid down, showing off my arm. I quickly covered it up before she could see the scars on the other side.
   Yeah, I haven't been feeling too good the past few days. I've not been eating because I've been sleeping." There was an awkward silence.
   "So. Do you know who your biological mother is?"
   "Taylor."
   "And your father?"
   "No ... I-I-I never thought to ask."
   "Okay. Most important question now. Do you want to live with Taylor or put into a care home?"
   "Taylor." I could almost imagine Taylor being here right now. She'd probably hug me.
   "Sign here please." I signed the piece of paper. "Maybe you should ask your mom to sign this instead of me asking her." She handed me the papers and I took them.
   I stood in the kitchen doorway. MOM! Taylor's not my mom, she's my ticket to Katy! I put the papers down in front of Taylor and she read over them. When she noticed my signature she grabbed the pen from my hand and scribbled her name.
   She squealed and almost suffocated me with a hug. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the social worker so I returned the hug with as much enthusiasm as I could manage, for Taylor that is anyway.
   After what felt like hours Taylor let go and the social worker took the file.
   "I'll be back in six months to check up on you Rayne. You have until then to make you final decision." She looked at Taylor before leaving. When she did Taylor latched onto me and I pushed her away.
   She looked hurt, good.
   "I can't breathe." I said, sitting down and taking deep breaths.
   There was a soft knock on the door and a moment later Katy was in the kitchen too.
   "So, how'd it go?" She asked.
   "She just wanted to know if I wanted to live with Taylor. She's coming back in six months to see if I still do." I explained. Katy shot me a look that said 'well played' and I smiled.
   "Um, Rayne?" Taylor asked. I looked over at her.
   "We leave for England tomorrow for interviews. Do you think we should ... tell people?"
   "We should wait until I've made the final decision, I think." I said. Her expression became a panicked one.
   "Does that mean you considering say no?"
   "No."
   "Then why can't we? I can't keep secrets and it's eating a hole away inside me."
  "Tell your mom and dad first."