Chapter twenty-seven, Runner.

*Rayne's POV*

   I had my bag packed. I had all of my stuff in that one suitcase. Taylor hasn't noticed yet.
   I've got my bus ticket. It goes from LA to San Francisco at eleven tonight. I've always wanted to go to San Francisco, it's always interested me.
   I stabbed a bit of carrot onto my fork and ate it slowly. This would be my last meal with Taylor. I looked at the clock again. Six. I'd given my notices to the two clubs I'd joined, telling them I couldn't attend anymore because I was moving far away.
   I looked up at Taylor, she gave me a warm smile and scooped up a forkful of peas. I didn't realise until now how grateful I was. She's given me a house, food, clothes and something I've never had before, love. Even if I didn't return it. My stepmother was great and all but she didn't really care like Taylor does.
   I had Katy's number memorised and my phone was on my desk, in my room, next to my perfectly tidy bed.
   I put my plate in the sink and went to the front room. I sat on the sofa and pulled my knees to my chest, Taylor joined me again a minute or two later.
   A tear slipped out of my eye and, for once, I showed her some genuine affection. I wrapped my arms around her and let my tears flow silently.
  "I'm sorry Taylor." I whispered. "But just know that I'm doing this for you. Don't come looking for me, I'm trying to keep you safe." I pulled away and went to bed.
   My room, like always, looked bare. The only difference was that my wardrobe was now empty. I'd hidden the suitcase under my bed, in case Taylor came in. I faced away from the door and when I heard Taylor's door close I grabbed my case and left. At the station I handed them my ticket and got on the bus. My nine hour drive had begun.

When I got off the bus I saw a bunch of strangers. One girl recognised me though.
"Oh my goodness! Can I have your autograph?" She asked.
"Sure." I scribbled my name on the piece of paper she was holding. "Can you do me a favour?" I asked. If she recognised me so would other people. I needed a makeover.
"Yes!"
"Can you take me to the hairdressers?" I asked.
"Yes yes yes!" She squeezed my wrist and dragged me off down several different streets.
After three hours I had gotten my hair layered and cut two inches past my shoulders. I had it dyed black with purple tips.
I was almost unrecognisable. Almost.
"I called the police." Her voice was all too familiar but I didn't turn to face her, instead I kept walking forwards casually. "They told me you got a bus ticket to here so I drove out, following you. A girl told me you wanted her to take you to the hairdressers. Baby, please come home." It was definitely Taylor. I gave her a quick look before running.
I ran down several streets then, I don't know why I did, I dove into a house and held the door closed behind me. I'm positive Taylor had no idea I was in here.
"AHHHH!" A woman screamed, she was staring at me.
"SHHHHHH! Please, I'm not here!" I said, handing her a twenty dollar bill.
It took ten minutes to explain my situation and ten seconds for her daughter to agree to let me stay in her room.
"You can stay but I hope you don't get offended." She said, opening her bedroom door. The walls were covered in Katy.
"Wow." I whispered.
"I know you don't like her because of who your mom is and all but-"
"No, I absolutely hate Taylor Swift. I've been a Katycat from the very start and hate Taylor for what she did to Katy." I said.
"We are definitely going to be best friends." She said. I sat on her bed and looked deep into the eyes of one of the posters.
"Do you have a phone?" I asked.
"Of course."
"Can I call someone?"
"Yeah." She handed me her mobile and I punched in Katy's number as fast as possible.
"Hi. I'm in San Francisco. Taylor found out but I avoided her pretty well. I've even got a place to stay, do you think you can sort it out?"
"Thank G-d you're alright." Katy said.
"I had a makeover too." I sent her a quick picture of my hair.
"I love it. You're just like me." I laughed.
"I miss you. Ali too."
"Ali's here actually."
"Hey babe." It was Alison.
"Oh my gosh."
I had to hang up after a short while because dinner was ready. I went downstairs with the girl, I still don't know her name.
They had this salad looking thing on the table.
"What is it?" I asked.
"It spinach pasta." The girls mom said. "It's vegan pasta though."
"Amazing! I still don't know your names though." I said.
"I'm Rachel." The mother said. "This is Alice. We're both vegans."
"I'm actually vegetarian." I said.
"Well that's lucky." Rachel said. We all sat down and began to eat. It was actually really good.
"Do I have to pay rent?" I asked.
"No." Rachel laughed. "You can help with the chores though."
"Gladly." I grabbed the empty plates and washed them up, struggling to put them away. Alice showed me where they went.
Then we went to her room and she put the on the 'One of the boys' album.
"Wow, you're an amazing singer." Alice said.
"Thank you." My face heated and I sat down. Not long after I fell asleep.