Chapter 2: One Week Earlier, Ciaran and Rab

Ciaran's Point of View

Keela was a lady now. She moved differently, stood differently, spoke differently. There was a graceful hesitation about her.

I didn't like it.

Something had happened to her. Where was our impetuous girl? I trained a narrow-eyed look at Bhaltair and he returned my glare, later, it said.

Absolutely later, I glared back.

He was supposed to protect her, watch over her while we were gone, and now I see only the ghost of the girl we left behind.

I listened to her father dismiss her, introduce her like she was nothing of import, and I felt a white hot rage overtake my body, only a gentle hand on my shoulder from Athol calmed me.

Her father was speaking, inviting us back to the keep. Bhaltair owed me answers, and I have every intention of getting them.

Rab's Point of View

Keela.

A breath I didn't know I'd been holding for three years rushed out of me.

I saw that she walked differently than she used to, but there was still something so uniquely Keela about her that I felt blown away. She was beautiful.

Her hair was wild; waves fell around her shoulders like they do when she had been running in the wind. I bet she ran to meet us.

What changed her demeanor so quickly? Was it us? Was it me? Was she disappointed in me?

I watched Lady Maeve take Keela's hands. Keela was a slip of a woman, small and willowy, and she trembled like a tree in the wind.

I thought about painting her. Would she let me? Would she let me run my fingers through her hair and adjust her face, making sure the light hit her just perfectly. The thought of touching her skin made me anxious and itchy inside my own skin. I wanted her alone. Just my brothers and her. I wanted her to talk to me.

Why was she putting her fingers on top of her lips? What did that mean?

I looked at Finn, who was wearing the same disturbed frown as me. Bhaltair had told us she was well, but different. All I had cared about was if she was happy, and she most certainly didn't seem happy.